Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lucky Cat in a Magic Hat

A couple of new decent brews to report on.

Amazingly, the Kroger in Mt. Juliet has a better beer selection than the Publix that I have bragged about on this blog before (that's right, still no decent beer store in Wilson County Proper). My wife and I were in there the other night looking for RC Cola for inspiration for a Halloween costume...we're going as an RC Cola and a Moon Pie...don't ask if you don't know...it's a "Southern thang." I spied the beer aisle on the way out and thought I would take a look and I was quite surprised at the selection. I give my wife credit for finding the Magic Hat Lucky Cat IPA among the many selections available. I love Magic Hat products and have sampled their Circus Boy (hefeweizen) and #9 (their not quite pale ale) in draughts in Virginia last year and at Bonnaroo this year, but this was my first time trying their IPA as well as anything bottled. I may have had my expectations too high because I was little disappointed in the aftertaste and weak hop flavor. Wouldn't mind trying this on tap for sure just to give it a true taste test and final decision. Magic Hat is brewed in Vermont and seems to be slowly creeping it's way south over the last few years. Welcome, carpetbagger, welcome!

Yesterday, the wife and I had Jack's Pumpkin-Spice Ale on draught and enjoyed it pretty well. It's an Anheuser-Busch seasonal product and went well with our bar food and had a nice light pumpkin taste.

2 comments:

Craig and Alison Harris said...

ryancolin6
mmmmm, I like pumpkin... did you save me one?

Hey, I noticed that you left Rainer Beer off the list of "no-so-common-beers you tried before the blog. Is it too common to make the list or just too bad? Or both?

Rob and Ashlee said...

Both. That crap sucked!