Friday, November 28, 2008

Detroit BOCK City

My friend, Wayne, and I had a great little trip to Detroit over the Thanksgiving holiday to see the Titans hammer on the woeful Lions at beautiful Ford Field and after the game (and after a bit of searching) we found the Detroit Beer Company, a downtown microbrewery with a good reputation. It's a great little restaurant/bar built around the microbrewery itself. They had several brews on tap and I started with...what else...the IPA. The "Local 1529 IPA" to be exact. Excellent aroma, hoppy taste and finish. I moved on to "The Detroit Dwarf" next which they tout as their house special and it has a medal from The Great American Beer Festival to prove it. It's an interesting combination of lager and ale that I found light and refreshing, but the overall taste didn't blow me away. A good beer nonetheless. Third was the "People Mover Porter" (see photo above courtesy of Wayne's Blackberry) which was as dark as some of the scary alleys Wayne and I stayed away from while walking in downtown Detroit. It was much lighter than I was expecting and had a satisfying finish. I finished with...what else...another IPA which was a good as the first one and ranks high on my list of favorite microbrews I have encountered up until now.

No comments: