Sunday, April 12, 2009

Well, It Sure Beats Hard-Boiled Eggs

If the Easter Bunny can hide plastic containers full of goodies for the kiddies, why can't he do the same for responsible adults in glass containers? Well, it probably won't catch on, at least not by producers of good beer, but an Easter Growler Hunt sounds like a great marketing idea to me!!!

Ok, ok, it's a staged photo, but since my birthday falls fairly close to Easter, I was given a nice present today in Chattanooga by my brother- and sister-in-law, Paige and Andy, while we were visiting for the holiday.

Paige swung by the Riverside Beverage Store yesterday and picked up two growlers, one filled with Shiva IPA from Asheville Pizza & Brewing (yet another top-notch craft brewing group from this amazing little North Carolina mountain city) and the other was filled with French Broad Altbier also from the Asheville area. The amazing thing was that while I have had both of these beers in very small samples (the Shiva at the Southern Brewers Festival in Chattanooga two years ago, pre-blog, and the Alt Bier from Riverside Beverage the last time I was there when their keg ran out and the guy in the store was nice enough to give me about a half a glass sample to try), Paige didn't know squat about what to get and nailed exactly what I would have gotten had I been there myself. Kudos, sis (and thanks for contributing the photo as well).

The Shiva was really interesting. While calling itself an IPA, it's color and aroma indicated neither. No hoppy aroma and the light golden look of almost a pilsner when poured in the glass (it did look a bit darker in the volume of the growler). The taste didn't have the opening bite of a "real" IPA but with a nice hoppy finish, and that seems to be what they are going for with this solid brew.

Altbier ("old beer" in German) is an amber ale brewed in a traditional Bavarian style that blends malt and hops flawlessly. It's an excellent choice for any beer lover since it has a little something for everyone in terms of body, taste, refreshment and weight.

Thanks again to Paige and Andy for this great birthday present.

ADDENDUM: Who knew one of the best bottled IPAs in the U.S. I have found so far comes from the South. I bought a six-pack of Sweetwater IPA at our local Publix last weekend and it was a wonderful surprise. Made in Atlanta with a strong hoppy aroma and flavor with no bitter aftertaste and an easy-flowing body that leaves it refreshing and not the least bit heavy. Sweetwater Brewing gains popularity each year in the craft brewing industry and it seems like now I see why. Got to check these guys out on a draught level as soon as I get a chance.

No comments: