Saturday, June 20, 2009

Three Cheers for Cheers (Beer and Cigar Store)

The long, hard wait is over. A real beer store has finally come to Wilson -we love our Coors Light - County. It's called "Cheers Beer and Cigar Store" and they have an excellent selection of microbrews and imports to choose from in their small satellite store attached to the already established "Cheers Wine and Liquor Store", a mere six miles from my house. Saints be praised!!

One of my first selections from Cheers included a six-pack of Single-Wide IPA from Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City. I knew this IPA existed after doing a little research on Boulevard after trying their excellent Lunar Ale a while back, and was happy to find it here at a reasonable price. It's a good, solid IPA, but cannot unsurplant my leading favorite bottled IPA - Sweetwater from Atlanta, GA. Their logo is hilarious and I love the little "squatty" bottles it comes in as well. Fits so nice in your hand on a hot summer afternoon.

The Cheers Beer Store also had a number of single pint import selections for varying prices and I decided to grab two of these as well for different reasons. I bought Lindemans Pomme Lambic because of my recent experience with the excellent Lindemans Framboise Lambic raspberry concoction out in Vegas, and because I love the taste of apple. Out it Vegas we orderd Lindeman's on tap, well, here's the kicker with Lindemans in a bottle: not only does it have a regular bottle cap under the foil covering the head of the bottle, but it also has a cork! I guees I should have known since it's the product of a natural double fermentation process. This was unfortunately discovered AFTER I had snuck it into the drive-in movie in Watertown the other night...sans corkscrew. So much for good beer while watching a movie out under the stars. Back home a couple days later (with a corkscrew), I was finally able to sample the Pomme. It was worth the wait. Excellent green apple flavor and aroma. Once again I give Lindemans credit for restoring my faith in Belgium beer brewing. Another great beer for a hot summer day.

I also bought a pint of high alcohol Russian lager labeled EpIIInctoe (translated "Yershistoe") from the Krasny Vostok Brewery in Kazan because it was cheap and, hey, it's from Russia. While I am not a big fan of lagers per se, this one wasn't bad at all. It has a little hint of hops without being totally bowled over by the maltiness you find in most lagers. Good finish after a bit of a bitter start. Probably wouldn't get it again, but glad I tried it.
I am so happy to finally have a real beer store so close to home. I am going to do my best to keep them in business as long as my wallet (and liver) can afford to do it.

No comments: