Sunday, July 26, 2009

BEER Chere 2009

If there's a better "beer town" in the U.S. than Asheville, I sure would like to visit it, and if there's a better free music and arts festival than Bele Chere in downtown Asheville, I would sure like to attend it. My wife and I "discovered" Bele Chere four years ago (it's been around for 31 years) when a band we really liked was slated to perform there. We have went back the last three years for the festival itself no matter who was playing because it's just such a great event. One of the best attributes to Bele Chere is the amazingly cheap beer for sale at different locations throughout the festival. And I am not talking about the cheap-tasting (and usually over-priced) domestic swill served at most outdoor festivals. I am talking about high quality microbrews from local brewers (Asheville boasts seven microbreweries at last count) but also from around the country as well as excellent imports. This year was no exception as I was able to try a bevy of new brews. Here's a breakdown of what I had and where I got it during the festival as well as the great price:

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA - bought at The Winehaus - an independent wine and liquor store in downtown Asheville. They were selling a selection of four different bottled microbrews and imports for $2 each ([see photo above of dead soldiers from The Winehaus) right out of their storefront and you could wander around with your beer inside the festival area (as long as you poured it in a plastic cup). The IPA was great and ice cold. Pyramid is out of Washington (state) and is best known for its Apricot Ale (also available at The Winehaus for $2)

Leinie's Berry Weiss- Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing - My wife chose these bottled fruity summer treat at The Winehaus also for $2. It's from an old Wisconsin family brewery and was infused with honey and blackberry juice. I had a few sips and found it to be pretty darn good especially as a summer brew. From the research I have done, it looks like this one-time independent brewery has been absorbed into the Miller Brewing Company conglomerate

Warsteiner Radler Premium Lemon - this lemon-infused pilsner import from Germany started out at $3 according to the hand-drawn sign where we bought it from a street vendor, but had been reduced to just $1! This wins the prize for cheapest beer ever at Bele Chere. Not my favorite beer in the world by far, but it was cold and again...only $1.

Green Man Ales - Summer Wheat -on tap at The Laughing Seed Restaurant. It comes from the brewpub located downstairs from the restaurant called Jack of the Wood. This was my wife's choice with dinner (photo above) and I liked it from the few sips I had. $3.50/glass.

Green Man Ales - IPA - This was my choice with dinner (naturally) and wins the prize for best beer tried by me at Bele Chere. Excellent body and hoppy aroma/taste. $3.50/glass.

The next day for lunch we sought another of Asheville's great brewpubs just a couple miles from downtown - Asheville Pizza and Brewing (photo below). This quirky little independment establishment has been an Asheville staple for many years. The pizza was delicious as was their brew. I started with their Scottish Ale which was smooth as silk depite a fairly heavy body. Next I tried the Houdini ESP - Extra Special Pale - this was my favorite of the two and although it did not have the super-hoppiness of an IPA that I like, it still had enough aroma and taste to satisfy me, and it went great with the pizza. Yes, they have an IPA here (Shiva) which I have had before at a beer tasting and really liked (that's why we sought out this place while in town).

2 comments:

Craig and Alison Harris said...

mmmmm, blackberry. -Homer Simpson

Craig and Alison Harris said...

Homer Simpson also says:
"I prefer both my beer and my coffee to be dark and bitter; that way, it fits in well with the rest of my life."

and...

"OK brain, I don't like you and you don't like me so lets just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."

I use a sound byte of the latter quote as my "new mail notification" on my computer here at work... its a hoot!