Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MO fun, MO beer in St. Louis MO



A recent trip to the fine city of St. Louis, MO gives me the opportunity to write another guest blog for my favorite beer blog. Some plans for Memphis were thwarted so on a whim we opted for a first time ever trip to St. Louis. A fine decision it was as we found St. Louis to be a great town.


We arrived AM Staurdayafter spending the night about an hour and a half short of our goal form getting out of town Friday evening from Paris, Tn. Straight to the Arch to get tickets which turned out to be for 1:30 PM so we had some time to kill. A couple of times around the Gateway grounds and "Expansion Memorial" museum still left us short of lunch time so, thanks to some help from a great employee at the Arch, we found Morgan Street Brewery for lunch and a brew.


Boasting 13 regular brews, and five always on tap, I was unfortunate enough to time my visit when there were no Stouts on tap so I opted for the modestly named "Red Lager." Given that they had an "Irish Stout" that they claimed was their version of Guinness Stout, I figured i'd end up with their version of Bass Ale and I wasn' far off.

When I ordered my beer it was five o'clock somewhere, but only about 11:20 AM Central time and since I had the family with me and a great deal of sight-seeing (prefereably sober) to do, I went with the pint rather than the 22 oz size. Not a bad beer at all and I would be perfectly satisfied if I had brewed it up my self, home brew style. I do intend to try that sometime soon. The picture makes it appear darker that it was and in reality it was a tad darker than a Bass and truely red. Their menu said "Similar to a Vienna style lager, our Red is the perfect compliment to a hearty meal. Full body, smooth malt flavor, and subdued hoppiness makes this beer very drinkable." I found it to be less malty (thankfully) and a bit too full bodied. It lacked a definite flavor. A bit smokey, a bit malty, a tiny bit bitter and almost no aftertaste (if I understand that term correctly). Now I am sure that if it were after dark, a live band was playing some smooth blues, and I was surrounded by a group of friends for some good conversation I would be able to drink enough of it to become the conversation, but as it was, one was enough. I finished my beer and on the next trip by, the waitress said that they had just tapped a keg of their Irish.... *sigh* Story of my life. LOL Next time I go, I try the Oatmeal Stout for sure! I love meesa Oatmeal Stout!

Writers note: read about our trip to St. Louis soon on www.molehillgardens.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Rob and Ashlee said...

great entry, craig. Thanks for the contribution. I have been to St. Louie and loved going up in the Arch, but never tried any beer there. Now I have a reason to go back!!