Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Georgia Beer

The wife and I took a long weekend trip down to Atlanta with some friends recently for some concerts and got into some pretty good beer along the way.

The Porter Beer Bar over in the Little 5 Points neighborhood of Atlanta has an impressive beer list.  While there I had the Dank Tank Red Hot Mama, a double red ale from Atlanta's own, Sweetwater Brewing.  My second round was the Cedar Plank Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing out in California which I have visited before.  I finished up with a Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing out of Pennsylvania.  Thanks to my friend, Rex, for suggesting this great place and to my friend, Mike, for swiping the Weyerbacher glass that I wanted in his coat on the way out. Shhhh!!
Mark another one off the Bucket List!  I finally got to visit one of my favorite regional breweries, The Terrapin Beer Company, over in nearby Athens, Georgia, while on this trip. A total group of eight of us visited the large craft brewery during their open-to-the-public hours for tastings and tours.  It's a great deal with $10 getting you up to eight generous 1/4 pint pours of any of their available brews.  The place got packed fast as word of this good deal on great beer is obviously out.  Their huge hop-bag banners pictured above were a true sign I was where I belong!
So many hops, so little time!  While at The Terrapin Beer Company I tried the following 1/4 pint (sometimes more generous than that) pours:  Big Hoppy Monster, Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout, So Fresh and So Green (American IPA) and of course, the good ol' Hopsectioner.
Also while in Athens while getting some dinner before a show at Momma Goldberg's Deli I just had to try Momma's Brew.  This rather rancid golden lager is cheap and plentiful...exactly what's wanted and needed in a college town like Athens.  Oh to be young and dumb again!

On our last night back in Atlanta I also had a pint of Bell's Brewing's Best Brown Ale while having dinner at Serpas True Food Restaurant.  This brewery out of Wisconsin continues to impress me with s and I definitely hope to visit their someday.



Back home here in Nashville the other night before a Titans game, I had a bottle of Kingpin Double Red Ale from Bridgeport (Oregon) Brewing at The Pharmacy Burger Parlor and Beer Garden over in East Nashville.  The beer menu at the place is outstanding and the food was pretty good as well.

No comments: