Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Hoppy Halloween, Chattanooga Newbies, Nashville Newbies plus Re-Vegas, Re-Indy and Re-Memphis

Why yes...yes I am....
Oct. 31 - We threw a low-key Halloween party at our house and I got a nice variety six-pack from MJBC for it that included: a Tempter IPA from Telluride (CO) Brewing, a Flipside Red IPA from Sierra Nevada, a Hi-5 IPA and a Hopsecutioner (brought by my friend, Chris) from Terrapin, a Carhartt Woodsman from New Holland, a Naked Pig Pale Ale from Back Forty Brewing and a kinda  sweetly gross Cranberry Ginger Shandy from Leinenkugel.

Nov. 6 - Ashlee and I drove down to Chattanooga tonight for an O/A/R concert.   Before the show we checked out a new-to-us bar called The Flying Squirrel for dinner.  The food was great and they had a solid beer list.  I had the Hairy Eyeball Ale from Lagunitas Brewing and a 1/2 pint of the Hop the Pond Double IPA from New Belgium

Nov. 7 - The next day we had lunch at the new-to-Chattanooga Tupelo Honey Cafe which was delicious.  I had a Black IPA from Chattanooga Brewing with my meal.

Las Vegas


Nov. 9 - 11:  I took my first (and only this year) quick trip to Las Vegas to take advantage of the weird Tuesday holiday for Veteran's Day.  I played in a couple poker tourneys without much success, but had a spectacular trip nonetheless with great weather, a ride on the new High Roller Ferris Wheel (booze included) and a convertible Mustang ($10 upgrade!) drive out to the amazing Zion National Park over in nearby Utah.  Oh, and I had beer...

Just off the plane, at a bit of run-down little place off The Strip called Aces and Ales I had a  Hoppy Times IPA from Bad Beat Brewing (this didn't jinx my poker playing, that would have been if I had had something from "Card Dead Brewing"...uggh)

I had a couple pre-tourney libations at the Public House in The Venetian which has an impressive beer list.  I started with a Get Up Offa That Brown ale from Golden Road Brewing in LA and about a half a pint of Hopulent IPA from Epic Brewing in Utah that the barkeep gave me on the house since the keg messed up after I ordered it.  Thanks, bud!  I finished with a can of Hop Ottin IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing (CA).

Ahh, real live online poker again.  The tourneys were few and far between, but at least I cashed in one while in Vegas in the comfort of my great room at The Tropicana.

Zion National Park is breathtaking.  I highly encourage a visit in a sweet convertible.
The ride on the new High Roller Ferris Wheel was spectacular and included free booze.  The beer offered was domestic drivel, so I stuck with good ol' Jack and Cokes.

I stopped by Banger Brewing in Old Town and had a Hop Bang Boom IPA which was decent.

At an off-The-Strip Irish bar called McMullen's I had a watery Steinlager (New Zealand) which actually went down great after an excellent Chinese lunch at Ping Pang Pong.

Some great news!   I discovered that they have opened another Yard House on The Strip at the base of the High Roller Ferris Wheel.  The bad news was there was Monday Night Football on and the place was nuts when I went in there.  I settled for my old favorite location way down Las Vegas Blvd. the next day before flying out and had a couple of Oregon-made half-pints including a Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA (which I had unknowingly had back in April of this year at the 12th South Taproom in Nashville) and a Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewing.


In and around Nashville

I had an Iciban Shibori at our favorite sushi restaurant, O'sake
I had a Southern Wit from TN Brew Works at Barlines, a great new bar at the Omni Hotel
I had a Walkabout Pale Ale from Flat 12 Bierworks (Indy) at home watching pitiful the Titans on MNF, followed by a can of Fence Post Session Ale
I also had a Hop Zombie by Epic Brewing (New Zealand) - a surprise pint bottle present from my wife.  It went down perfect while watching an episode of "The Walking Dead."

Indiana/Kentucky

Tuesday, Nov. 18:  We took a quick trip up to Indianapolis to see our beloved Duke Blue Devils play in the Champions Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse vs. Michigan State.  Duke got the W, and then Kentucky and Kansas squared-off in the second game of the night.  Some good beer was procured going, coming and at the game.

On the way up my friend, Mike, and I stopped at Big Woods Brewing in Nashville (Indiana) for lunch and I had their Hare Trigger IPA, followed by a Hazelnut Coffee Stout and a Martin's Pumpkin Ale.  All were tasty as was the food.  I tried to get single Mike to tell our cute red-headed waitress that she must have been the inspiration for their wood-nymph logo below.  He did not oblige...



Our seats were better than this fish-eye shot appears, but it's still kind of cool picture.
I was happy to find that this corporate NBA arena actually embraced local craft brew with several stands selling local Sun King Brewing products.  I had the Sunlight Cream Ale and a Mr. Sparkles (blonde ale) both on draught.
On our way home the next day we stopped for lunch in Louisville at Bluegrass Brewing where I had their Session IPA and their Nut Brown Ale.

Memphis

Saturday, Nov. 22: I returned to Memphis and Tunica for the good weekly Saturday tournament at The Horseshoe where I cashed on my last visit.  This time I was not so fortunate, but it did allow me time to go visit a couple new Memphis craft breweries that was able to get to on my last visit.

I went by the very cool (and very busy) Wiseacre Brewing which has a nice set-up in an industrial park.  I had the Lord Skylark Tea Pale Ale which was great and the Adjective Animal (a rather underwhelming double IPA).

I moved on to the much quieter, but still very cool Wiseacre Brewing where I had their Scottish Ale, their Belgian IPA, their Porter (photo above - look at the beautiful lacing) and their ESB...yes, I was here a good while watching the UT/Missouri game.
Sunday, Nov. 23:  I solved the problem of no breweries being open on Sundays in Memphis when I found the Young Avenue Deli for lunch and their excellent beer list (and great Philly cheese-steak!) I had the Fireside Ninja red ale by nearby Memphis Made Brewing and a can of Jack the Sipper ESB by Southern Prohibition Brewing (Hattiesburg, MS)

It can't always be about beer.  Here's my tasty morning mimosa I had in The Peabody Hotel lobby as I waited for the famous ducks to enter.  I have always wanted to see this in person. -- see video below


No comments: