Monday, October 10, 2016

The season is changing but good beer continues at a steady pace

Fall is upon us and we regrettably began closing the pool and looking for other ways to entertain ourselves and I, of course, took any opportunity I could to try more new craft beer:

9/9/16 - Another part of Ashlee's birthday extravaganza included renting an awesome cabin overlooking Nickajack Lake where we went kayaking and finally got to see the bats emerge by the thousands out of Nickajack Cave.  I bought a six-pack of Oskar Blues IPA  to enjoy with this tremendous view.  This was my first product by Oskar Blues that was brewed and canned in their new Brevard, North Carolina, facility.
Nighttime at the cabin was amazing too with a beautiful cloudless sky that was perfect for some star-gazing.  And with my new IPhone app, Sky Guide, it made for an interesting and informative evening of peaceful solitude.
9/12/16 - On Ashlee's ACTUAL BIRTHDAY we had dinner at one of our her (and mine) favorite new Nashville restaurants, The Chauhan Ale and Masala House where I had a Bengali IPA from Sixpoint Brewing in Brooklyn, NY, with their distinctive slim cans.  I also had a sip of Wayne's Apple Knocker Hard Cider (the Bad One) which was pretty good while he was playing Pokemon Go.  I think I will just continue playing Craft Beerkemon (Gotta Drink 'em All!)
9/14/16 - I saw the excellent film, Sully in IMAX  tonight with my good friend, Wayne.  Beforehand we hand dinner and I got a couple of half-pints at the Homegrown Taproom including the Zombie Monkie porter from Tallgrass (KS) and the Honey Biscuit Blonde ale from Honky Tonk Brewing here in Nashville.

9/22/16 - Today was possibly my last day-off to spend at the pool this year.  I was also celebrating the fact that our favorite affordable grocery store, Aldi, now has has beer!!  I bought a six-pack of the IPA from Wild Range Brewing (mass-produced inferior product) in bottles.  It wasn't hoppy in the least bit, so I guess it was more of an English-style IPA, but without the usual after-bite of most of those, so actually not bad, especially on a hot day.  I will continue to sort thru the weird brands that Aldi carries and report my findings as usual...somebody's got to do it!

9/22 - Next up  film-wise was the not-so-excellent remake of The Magnificent Seven with my friends Wayne, Danny and Brenda.  The cast was great and it had its good moments early-on, but flat-lined in the third act into ho-humness and a some WTF? moments...oh well.  Beforehand, Wayne and I had dinner again at the Homegrown Taproom again where I had a couple of half-pints including the zesty Sun Splash IPA from Mill Creek Brewing over in nearby Nolensville and the super-hoppy Tryestar pale ale rye from one of Nashville's newest microbreweries, New Heights.
9/24  - Ashlee and I attended Wayne's college graduation today (congrats, bud!!) and afterwards had a delicious lunch in Germantown at Jack Brown's Beer and Burger Joint where I had a Hardcore Chimera double IPA in a pint can from Finch Beer Company (Chicago).

It was a beautiful BIG ORANGE sunset in Tennessee today as the Vols finally got the Florida Gatormonkey off their backs with an amazing second-half comeback and resounding win!!
I toasted the big UT win at one of the newest Nashville craft breweries, East Nashville Beer Works, which has a beautiful facility and some top-notch creations.  I had half-pints of the Swing Bridge IPA, the Roaming Dog ASB and the Woodland Street Galaxy session IPA.  I will be back here for sure!
Ashlee had a girls-night planned, so I went solo to see James Bay tonight at The Ryman.  I had to get a ticket off of Stub Hub because his two shows here were sold out.  I just discovered him a short while back.  He was pretty impressive, albeit a little too reminiscent of  John Mayer in my opinion with all the young ladies swooning in the crowd over him...but, hey, I still like "Gravity" by Mayer despite his jack-assery off the stage.
9/25/16 - Wayne invited me to see the Titans take on the Oakland Raiders today with him.  It was another frustrating loss for our boys, but it was a beautiful day for a game and Wayne's new IPhone 7 takes a pretty good depth-of-field portrait.
After the loss, I decided to stop by Black Abbey Brewing and drown my sorrows a bit.  I think it would take at least this much beer pictured above to right all the wrongs of the Titans over the past decade!  I had half pints of the Stout of Touch dry Irish stout, The Champion with Hot Peppers cask pale ale  (my fav of the bunch) and the Hops and Oats bock.   The Black Abbey folks are obsessed with Hall and Oates for some reason lately and their beer creation names are hilariously reflecting that fact.  Keep up the good work, you crazy Man-eaters! 
Hey, I stole this, but it makes me laugh and it's oh so true as a Titans fan.  Cheers!  

No comments: