Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Happy New Year (of Beer)!


Cheers, Mr. New Year.  This one's probably gonna be a weird one with our new goofy prez.  Let's just hope for the best and just press on!  

12/31/16 -  I began celebrating the new year back at the Homegrown Tap Room today with a few brews along with an early dinner including a decent Louisville Lager from Goodwood Brewing (KY), a tasty Young Hickory porter from nearby East Nashville Beer Works, and a pretty good Ginger Brau lager from Devils Backbone Brewing (VA).  

1/1/17 - Thanks to my pal, Wayne, I got to walk on the field with him today at Nissan Stadium pre-game between the Titans and Texans as we helped unfurl and hold the huge "TITAN UP" flag in south end-zone.  A very cool experience! Too bad the game didn't mean more for the season but we did get the W.  
1/5/17 - It was poker night in Lebanon again and as my newly-formed habit, I stopped by the new Lebanon Wine and Spirits to peruse their great beer selection and got a variety four-pack for the night including a pretty good Sidecar Orange Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada (CA), a nice Brown Shugga' strong ale from Lagunitas Brewing (CA),  my favorite of the night (and the best bottle art, see above) a Voodoo Ranger IPA from New Belgium Brewing (CO), and finally a tasty Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's Brewing (MI).   I am glad the beer was alive, because I was card-dead all night, and eeked out a 5th place finish.



1/7 - Ashlee and I spent this brutally cold Saturday at the Belcourt Theater  in Nashville seeing a double feature of Manchester by the Sea and Jackie, both of which were excellent films.  In between shows we slipped across the road to Cabana for a couple drinks and I had a tasty Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales and Spirits (OR) and the decent Easy Goer Session IPA from Falls City Beer (KY).

1/10 -  I had a bachelor night tonight as Ashlee was hosting her bunco group at our house so I headed down to Murfreesboro for another visit to the awesome Flashback Arcade who I am happy to report have finally added Ramage (the greatest video game ever IMO).  Before burning a few hours there I stopped for dinner and a couple of craft beers at The Green Dragon Public House, a small  Lord of the Rings-influenced pub with delicious food and an impressive beer list.  With my tasty pastrami on rye sandwich I had a great MECHA double IPA from NOLA Brewing (LA) and the strong but smooth Bomb! imperial stout from Prairie Artisan Ales (OK). 
1/13 - It was poker night at The Barn again for me, and I got a four-pack of new beers from the Mt. Juliet Beer Company to take with me including the tasty Death by Coconut porter from Oskar Blues Brewery (CO), the decent Backpacker Brown ale from Tallgrass Brewing (KS), the interesting Hazelnut Brown Nectar ale from Rogue Ales (OR) and my favorite of the night, the Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA from Uinta Brewing (UT).  I wish my AK had held up as good as these beers vs. JJ, but it was "Goodnight, Irene"  for me after three hours of solid, patient play.


1/15 - Ashlee and I stopped by yet another new Nashville craft brewery tonight on our way to a show downtown.  New Heights Brewing has a nice location and some great creations.  I had a dark and tasty Navel Gazer imperial stout and a taste of Ashlee's Nothing Fancy fruity cream ale.  At the show at City Winery I also had a decent DayTime Fractional IPA from Lagunitas Brewing (CA).

Finally, a new year's resolution I know I will keep!!

No comments: