Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Suds of March

Wednesday, 3/1 - I went to see The Great Wall in IMAX tonight before it left the big screen.  It was decent, but I was expecting more from it overall.  Beforehand, I stopped by the new Vinyl Tap bar in East Nashville and had a solid Fennario IPA from Nashville's own, Jackalope Brewing.
After being under-impressed by Vinyl Tap's overall selection, I slipped across the road to my current favorite Nashville craft brewer, Southern Grist, and had a crisp and delicious Lemon Drop pale ale.
Friday, 3/3 - We had dinner before a Fitz and the Tantrums show tonight in Nashville at The Slider House which always has great craft canned beer.  I had a tasty Watermelon Dorado double IPA from Ballast Point Brewing (CA) and the crisp and light Sound Czech Pils(ner) from Terrapin Brewing in Athens, GA.
The amazing Will Hoge at The Basement East

Sunday, 3/5 - There was more great music and more great beer at The Basement East for "Four in the Floor" tonight with Will Hoge, Tyler Childers and a couple more folks playing acoustically in the round. The new-to-us venue had a surprisingly good draft beer list here and I had three new-to-me pints including an awesome Velvet Charmer Scotch ale from Yee Haw Brewing (Johnson City, TN), a tart but decent Cherry Berliner sour ale from Honky Tonk Brewing here in Nashville, and a fresh-tasting Grass Monkey pale wheat ale from Sweetwater Brewing (Atlanta).

Tuesday, 3/7 - It was once again Lebanon Poker Night and I got a great variety four-pack from Lebanon Wine and Spirits that included a hoppy bottle of Windows Up IPA from the Alpine Beer Company (CA); a bottle of very unique Frootwood [2017] a cherry ale aged in bourbon and maple syrup barrels from Founders Brewing (MI); a can of decent The Walking Dead red IPA from Terrapin Brewing in Athens, GA; and finally, a tasty canned Dankosaurus IPA from Cedar Creek Brewing (TX). The beers were a hit, but my third-place finish was a bit dissatisfying.
Wednesday, 3/8 - Wayne and I met up at The Hop Stop for dinner tonight before seeing Logan in IMAX.  It was a good film, but these comparisons to it being as good as The Dark Knight are total BS.  With dinner I had a couple of 4 oz. draft pours of the solid Wet Dream brown ale from Evil Twin Brewing (Brooklyn, NY) and the tangy Bourbon Peach American Wild Ale from Unity Vibration Brewing (MI).  
I haven't been to The Hop Stop in a while so I was impressed with their recent additions of huge murals not only on their own building, but this one next door as well.  
Friday, 3/10 - Ashlee and I went and saw the charming street cats of Istanbul documentary, Kedi, tonight at the newly remodeled Belcourt Theatre who now has a pretty good draft and bottle/can selection of craft beers.  I had a can of the tasty Peanut Butter Milk Stout by TailGate Beer from here in Nashville.

Tuesday, 3/14 - Wayne and I grabbed dinner at the Homegrown Taproom  before seeing the impressive Kong: Skull Island in IMAX and I had a couple small draft pours of the so-so G'Night red IPA from Oskar Blues Brewery (CO and NC) and the crisp and light Billy Beard maibock from Yee-Haw Brewing up in Johnson City, TN.  
Friday, 3/17 - I wasn't really planning on celebrating St. Patty's Day this year, but we got an invitation to our friends, Emily and Andrew's new house for some March Madness viewing and brewing.  I bought an awesome variety four-pack at Lebanon Wine and Spirits again.  I had the beautifully-hopped Bhang Bhang double IPA from Mantra Artisan Ales from over in Franklin, TN; the solid Red Handed double IPA from Nashville's own Bearded Iris Brewing; the mind-boggling Peanut Butter Jelly Time brown ale from Catawba Brewing (NC); and the tasty Ibex Cellar: Imperial Coffee Stout from Schlafly Brewing (St. Louis).
Saturday, 3/18 - Our friend, Patrick, was celebrating his 50th birthday (got one of those coming soon myself!) down in Chattanooga, so we ambled down that way tonight and since it was BYOB, we stopped at the always-great Riverside Wine and Spirits where I got a four-pack of delicious 5Beans porter from Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn) in their always-distinct slim cans.  A bit hard to read in the photo above, but I was pretty impressed with myself for scoring a 98% mark for singing Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated) by The Offspring on the Rock Band video game which I had never played before and, yes, it was on the EASY setting.    Thanks for the liquid-courage, Sixpoint! 
We saw the immortal Steve Martin (and the ultra-talented Steep Canyon Rangers) and the hilarious Martin Short (kinda stole the show in my opinion...that's him in drag in the photo above, of course) at the Grand Ole Opry tonight.  The show was outstanding as were the local craft beer choices.  I had a nice big draft pour of the refreshing Miro Miel blonde ale from East Nashville Beer Works.


No comments: