Tuesday, August 1, 2017

ROBtoberfest

June 3, 2017 -  I have the best wife in the world, people!

(and possibly the best friend in Chris -freaking- DeGroff!!)

Despite me spending my 50th birthday in lovely and amazing Japan, my awesome wife, Ashlee, decided I needed an actual birthday party as well, and so a few months later with the weather right for using the pool she put together "Robtoberfest" for me.  It was a pool party complete with, tasty German food, an amazing blow-up Irish pub, 50 different kinds of canned craft beer (8 new ones for me), and lots of pool-oriented fun including watching our beloved Preds on a big-screen outside from the pool in the Stanley Cup Finals.  We had about 40 people show up and I got a ton of cool and thoughtful gifts.  One of the best was from my good friend, Chris, who surprised me with an amazing gift of 50 more different craft beers from in and around Indiana where he lives now.  With his collection I added 43 new-to-me beers to my ever-growing consumption-collection.
The blow-up Irish pub fit nicely in our backyard behind the pool.  It was large and roomy inside with chairs and tables and a large bar area.

One of the new pool floats given to me by Ashlee for Robtoberfest was this cool beer float complete with attached cooler.

Another Ashlee gift was this hilarious children's book knock-off for beer lovers.

My favorite character from Goodnight Brew is, of course, the hops wildebeest.  
Since our 50 different party canned beers were from Lebanon Wine and Spirits, I naturally had already had a lot of them.  But the eight of them that I not had were:  T-Time, a sour Berliner Weisse from Terrapin Brewing (Athens, GA); the above-pictured Creekbank Blonde ale from BriarScratch Brewing in nearby Gallatin, TN;  the Roundhouse IPA from Bell's Brewery (MI), the Passion Fruit Pinner IPA from Oskar Blues Brewery (CO): Raspberry Jam, another sour Berliner Weisse from Tallgrass Brewing (KS); the Dayblazer blonde ale from New Belgium (CO); and the best of the bunch, the Resin and Hi-Res IPAs from the always-great Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn, NY).    I also got to have some Suttungabrygden mead from Mjodhamnen Meadery in Sweden that my friend, Nate, brought to the party.  It's the first mead I've had that I actually liked.



Another great Ashlee-gift  in tune with the party theme was the Can Stein that holds your canned beer in fine German style including a lid to keep the bugs out when you are hanging out at the pool!  
6/5 - 7/  - As I mentioned above, my amazing friend, Chris, brought me 50 different beers for my birthday from around his new home region of Indiana, and a whopping 43 of them were new to me.  It took me about a month to finish them all off mostly at home around the pool. Here's a quick (yet long) run-down of every one of the new ones:

Cascade Express IPA - 18th St. Brewery - IN - been to this brewery actually!
Pale Alement pale ale - Burn 'Em Brewing - IN
Special Ale - River Horse Brewing - NJ - took this one and the next two to Poker Night in Lebanon
IPA - River Horse Brewing - NJ
Deadeye Stout - Triton Brewing - IN - my fav of the night, a smoked beauty
Tripel Horse - River Horse Brewing - NJ
Golden Hop IPA - Yards Brewing - PA
Love Stout - Yards Brewing - PA
What the Butler Saw witbier - Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing - NJ
MCA IPA - Burn 'Em Brewing - IN
Lift Off IPA - Daredevil Brewing - IN
Indiana Amber red ale - Oaken Barrel Brewing - IN - been to this one too!
Night Tripper stout - New Holland Brewing - MI
Alpha King pale ale - 3 Floyds Brewing - IN - been there and love it!  More poker night beer.
Mr. Hyde stout - Greenbush Brewing - MI
Gnaw Bone Pale Ale - Oaken Barrel Brewing - IN
Hopsquatch - Mad Anthony Brewing - IN
Closure pale ale - Greenbush - MI
Loch Down Scotch Ale - Arcadia Brewing - MI
Candi Crushable IPA - 18th Street Brewery - IN
Mango Gose - The Sour Note Brewing - IN
Ivory Stout - Brew Link Brewing - IN
10-Speed Hoppy Wheat ale - Bloomington (IN) Brewing Company
Hop Loco double IPA - Mad Anthony Brewing - IN
Yum Yum pale ale - 3 Floyds - IN
Dunegras IPA - Greenbush - MI

Hop'solutely IPA - Fegley's Brew Works - PA - online poker night.  Yes, it's back!!  Global Poker has somehow made it legal again to play online poker. in the U.S  Above is one of my small-entry tournament wins on the site for a nice payday.

Money Maker - Danny Boy Beer Works - IN - poker brew...naturally
Rail Splitter IPA - Triton - IN
Naught Neighbour pale ale - Nickel Brook Brewing - Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Old Leghumper porter - Thirsty Dog Brewing - OH
Exit 16 - Wild Rice Double IPA - Flying Fish Brewing - NJ
Siberian Night stout - Thirsty Dog Brewing - OH
Hunter milk stout - 18th Street - IN
Wrath of Pele brown ale - Burn 'Em Brewing - IN
Training Day pale ale - Danny Boy - IN
Lager of the Lakes - Bell's Brewery - MI
Six Foot Blonde ale - Quaff ON! Brewing -  Nashville....IN!
Farmhouse Summer Ale - Flying Fish Brewing  - NJ
Double Cannon Imperial IPA - Heavy Seas Beer Co. - MD
Grand Cru Winter Reserve Belgian ale - Flying Fish Brewing - NJ
Star Chicken Shotgun IPA - Greenbush Brewing - MI
And the final new one from Chris - the General George Patton Pilsner from Evil Czech Brewery - IN
or so I thought...
a week later Ashlee fished out a delicious Thai P.A. IPA from Bare Hands Brewery (IN) from the back of the fridge.  BONUS!


Man, what a birthday and what a great bunch of presents!!  

I am a lucky man with a nice big beer gut to prove it!!

No comments: