Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The leaves are falling and the beer is calling...

10/10 - It was opening night for the Nashville Predators 2017-2018 season and they were going to raise our Western Conference Champs banner from last year's Stanley Cup run, so I didn't want to miss it. With the banner up the puck went down for a crazy 6-5 win that started with us losing a 3-0 lead, and then having a comeback from a 5-3 deficit by the end of regulation.  Wow!   I had a beer beforehand at Czann's Brewing for exchange for some free parking with my pal, Wayne.  I had their newly-brewed and tasty Pumpkin Ale.

10/11 - I finally got to go see Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX with my pal, Wayne, tonight.  It was excellent.  Beforehand, I stopped at the Homegrown Taproom for a trio of half-pints that included a very good Smells Like a Safety Meeting IPA from Dark Horse Brewing (MI),  the Red Trail Ale IPA from Nashville's own Blackstone Brewing that I thought was way too devoid of hops, and the spice-laden Pumking (2017) ale from Southern Tier Brewing (NY).  
10/16 - My pal, Wayne, invited me to go with him to see our beloved Tennessee Titans take on our division rival, the Indianapolis Colts, on Monday Night Football tonight.  Combine that with a day off from work to seek out some good beer in Nashville beforehand, makes for a pretty excellent time overall!  

Titans win!  Titans win!  A nice second-half comeback led to a final score of 36-22 for the good guys and giving us a piece of first place in the AFC South...for now.  And we broke an 11-game losing streak to these pukes also!  I even found a new craft beer at Nissan Stadium as Yee-Haw Brewing out of Johnson City, TN, has made a large presence there.  I had their very good Yee-Haw IPA to start the game.  
Earlier that day, after sitting around for hours waiting on bad news, of course, at the Honda dealership in Franklin (hang in there, Jose...that's our 14-year-old CRV), I needed a beer, stat!  I headed straight to Craft Brewed on Franklin Pike for a couple of pints...and my little car got me there just fine, thank you!  I started out with a Schnickelfritz hefeweizen from Urban Chestnut Brewing in St. Louis.  I have to say it was one of the best heffs I have ever had because they are just not my favorite style of beer.   Next up was a hoppy and delicious pint of Wavvy (Batch 2) IPA from Stillwater Artisanal  Brewing in Baltimore.

I Ubered downtown to the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium next.  I haven't been to this seasoned beer bar in a while and I have surely missed it.  I started with a solid Keith's Korner IPA from Perennial Artisan Ales  also out of St. Louis.  This beer name seemed appropriate since I had one of my favorite players, Keith Bulluck. on my mind as a former "Mr. Monday Night Football" in the hey-days of the Titans of the past.  I followed that up with an always-delicious Stone Enjoy by 10.31.17 IPA which had an interesting combo of fall spices and hops.  This California craft-beer giant remains my favorite brewery of them all.
Hey, you gonna throw all that good beer away?  The Flying Saucer is such a cool place (those are pennies behind the taps) and they are real professionals when it comes to making great craft beer available here in Nashville. 

I met Wayne for dinner before the game at the HQ Beercade across the river from the stadium.  After a few rousing games of Galaga, I had their Glazed and Confused bacon burger where the buns consist of glazed donuts.  Jim Gaffigan would be so proud!  With dinner I had a great beer called The Grizz double IPA from Tallgrass Brewing (KS). 


10/18 -  I had a training class for work down in Murfreesboro today, so I drove my own car so I could hang out afterwards in town and catch a showing of American Made with Tom Cruise.  It was a great flick.

Mayday Brewery is a fun place to hang.
Afterwards, I went by The Green Dragon Pub with a beer and some dinner in mind.  The place was so crowded, however, that I couldn't even find a place to sit.  I hate that I didn't get to stay, but I am very happy to see the little place so popular on a Wednesday night!

Since Mayday Brewery is nearby, I ambled over that way for at least a beer.  It too was very busy, but I did manage to get a pint of their yummy Jubilee IPA before heading home.  I was sad to hear earlier in the day that the prolific lead singer for the amazing Canadian rock band, The Tragically Hip, Gord Downie, had passed away after battling cancer, so I lifted this one for him.

RIP, Gord.  

10/20 -  It was Poker Night in Mt. Juliet tonight for me, and I grabbed three new-to-me beers from Lebanon Wine and Spirits' always-excellent craft beer cooler.  First up was the tasty and smooth #Basic Pumpkin Ale from Tailgate Brewing here in Nashville.  Next up was the super-hoppy (which makes me super happy!) Juice Box IPA from 450 North Brewing (IN).  I finished the night with a not-so-great Apex IPA from Bear Republic Brewing (CA).

Finally, a decent finish at The Poker Barn with a 2nd place showing.  It was quite the feat considering I came to the final table as the short stack with well under 10 big blinds...and a little luck with a 9 on the river for a straight to stay alive. 
10/22 - We were over in the 12 South area of Nashville and I got a chance to pop in to The Filling Station and have a pint while Ashlee and a couple other female friends did some shopping around the corner.  Evidently, the shopping wasn't that great because before I could finish my tasty Hitchin' Post Pale Ale from BriarScratch Brewing in nearby Gallatin, TN, they were all back to have a beer as well.  So I got a taste of Ashlee's Garr's Tripel as well from Garr's Beer Company in nearby Franklin, TN.  


Later on we met up with an old, old friend from college, James (Doug) Garza for dinner at Saint Alejo, a great upscale Mexican restaurant in The Gulch.  They had a decent  craft beer list, but I figured a cerveza was called for in this occasion and had the good Victoria Vienna-style lager from Modelo.  Good to see you again, Garza!  Thanks for the pic, Ashlee.
I usually don't like to repeat beer check-ins in this blog, but this view is worth it.  I had another Rompo red ale from Nashville's own Jackalope Brewing  (first one was back in January 2016 at the City Winery here in Nashville) way up on top of the new Westin Hotel in the L27  Rooftop Bar and it was tasty and the scenery was amazing on a beautiful night in Music City.
10/23 - We had dinner at The Pharmacy in East Nashville tonight and I had a terrific Trellis Buster double IPA from Crooked Stave Brewing (CO) with my burger and tots. I also had a sip of Ashlee's Bard of Laketown Saison from The Black Abbey Brewing here in Nashville.

No comments: