Wednesday, February 28, 2018

CUBA beer

We took a quick cruise out of Tampa to visit Cuba while we have the chance as Americans.  I didn't encounter a lot of beer there, but did get to add at least one Cuban beer to my collection.

2/16 - I planned on hitting a Tampa craft brewery or two tonight  after we flew in, but proceeded to leave my wallet on the plane and blew the rest of the night tracking it down which we thankfully did thanks to the great Southwest Airlines staff there.  Maybe next time, Tampa breweries.

2/17 - I got pretty excited to see that they had automated "Beer Stations" on the Carnival Paradise cruise ship we were on, but that excitement waned pretty fast when I learned the only two choices were Miller Lite and a Thirsty Frog Red ale from Anheuser-Busch that was just so-so.    They did have a decent craft beer selection at the bars around the ship including an Angel City IPA from Angel City Brewing in LA which is one of my top ten favorite breweries that I have visited.
2/18 - Our first stop on the cruise was Key West and I made a bee-line from the ship to The Porch, my favorite craft beer bar here.  I had a Strawberry Beret fruit beer from Barrel of Monks Brewing (Boca Raton, FL) that was excellent.  We sat out on the porch waiting for the rain to end and I also had a couple sips of Ashlee's Monk Saison from Inlet Brewing (Jupiter, FL) that was pretty good too.

The rain didn't let up in time for our  scheduled snorkeling trip to be cancelled, so we ambled around the Key West harbor area eating and drinking.  One of our first stops was the fairly new Waterfront Brewery where I had their solid Chocolate Milk Porter.

2/19 - As we cruised into Havana Harbor this morning, I started the day with a Sea Cow Milk Stout from Saltwater Brewery (Delray Beach, FL) on the back of the boat in the adults-only Serenity area.  It was a great way to say hello to Cuba.
Port of Havana

My first and unfortunately only Cuban beer I had was a Bucanero Fuerte lager made at Cerveceria macro-brewery in Holguin, Cuba.  It was decent and went well with the fresh lobster they served us at the Don Cangrejo restaurant in Havana.


Cuba's not known for their beer anyway, so I don't think I missed a lot, but they are known for their cigars and this Romeo Y Julieta stogie was excellent!  And, I was at least rockin' a Boulevard Brewing (Kansas City) shirt while I was there.

The classic cars were the best thing about Havana.  They are everywhere.

2/20 -  My only other new-to-me beer I had on the ship heading back home was a Pilsner Urquell 1842 from the Czech Republic in a piano bar.  It was good and cold at least.




No comments: