Tuesday, January 7, 2020

From Snowbirdin' to Bachelor-birdin' - A Busy Holiday Season Here and in Florida


Ashlee decided to try some snow-birding down in Florida for a month or so over the holidays with a long-term house rental.  Since she can work from home, she could stay put.  As for me, it was a long stretch of back and forth travel and some bachelor-time at home for me and my non-traveling cat, Zippy.



11/25 - After getting to Destin, Florida, the day before without a beer stop on the way down (boo!), my first destination was westward to the town of Navarre, Florida, to visit Ye Olde Brothers Brewery, a fairly new establishment.  I started with their excellent Imperial Blackwater Bourbon Oatmeal Stout.  I finished with a half-pint of their superb Sand Hill Pine Cone IPA (photo above).  I also had a tast of their house-made Brown Bear Root Beer that was pretty awesome.  We also ate here and the food was great...until my niece found a fly in her cheese pizza...yikes!!  They made it right with new pizza and no charge for it, but no free beer...boo!!



My brother-in-law, Andy, who I have converted to a craft beer snob, and I stopped by Beach Liquors in Destin to grab variety 6-packs for the week ahead.  They still have the best selection hands-down to any beer store I have ever been to.  I had a can of Ghost Crab Pilsna from Idyll Hounds Brewing in nearby Santa Rosa Beach when I got back to our condo to close out the day while watching The Irishman on Netflix.  I had planned on seeing this one in the theater, but kind of glad I didn't since clocking in at over 3-hours and not really that great IMO, it would have been a long night.  




11/26 - Speaking of Idyll Hounds Brewing, they open at 10 AM which is the earliest of all breweries in this area, so I headed west this morning and had a pint in my hand before 11 AM.  Cheers!  I had their beautiful and rich Idyll Hounds Coconut Rum Big and Fluffy milk stout out on their back patio which I had to myself thanks to the early hour.  As I was leaving some ladies were walking in and asked if they were open.  I replied that they had been pouring since 10 AM and they smiled with satisfaction.  


Another reason to head west was to have lunch at a place I had read about that was kind of known for their seafood po' boy sandwiches.  It wasn't even noon but the Seagrove Village Market Cafe was already jumping.  I ordered their blackened grouper po' boy with fries (half-eaten in the photo above) and despite the steep price, it was excellent.  Figures since they've been in business since 1949.  



Another reason I didn't mind driving a few miles for beer and lunch was my ride.  I got a great deal on this sweet 2019 Mustang GT convertible for the week.  The temps were a little cool, but with the windows up and the seat-heater on, it was a delightful jaunt.  



We walked to nearby Crystal Beach this afternoon from our condo, but the wind was kind of relentless and we only stayed for one beer, but it was a good one:  the Honey Kolsch from Rogue Ales (OR) was from my Beach Liquors variety pack and it was outstanding.  I even got a nice note from Rogue Ales on my check-in of it on UNTAPPD (see below).



Later that night at dinner at the awesome Boshamps Seafood and Oyster House I had a 30A IPA from Grayton Beer Company over in Santa Rosa Beach with my hearty bowl of seafood gumbo.



11/27 - The wind died down and it was a much better day back at Crystal Beach, and I was able to put away a couple more good brews from my Beach Liquors variety pack including a pint can of  the terrific Holy Cow, (photo above) a milk stout from Church Street Brewing (IL).  I finished with a can of Osprey's Fresh Catch (Season Six) IPA from Horus Fresh Ales (Milwaukee, WI) that I really liked.  According to UNTAPPD this one is no longer in production and it was the last one on the shelf here, so I feel fortunate to have snatched it up and pounded it down! 

We went to dinner tonight (per my suggestion) at The Craft Bar - Destin which has an amazing beer list and damn good food too!  I started with the Luminous Cloud pale ale from 3rd Planet Brewing over in Niceville, Florida.  I had hoped to visit 3rd Planet while here, but never had a chance... plus I didn't want to pay $8 in tolls to get there and back.  This would have to do and it was a good choice.  Really, really well-done New England-style IPA.  I finished with the cleverly-named Soft Swerve milkshake IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing (NY).  It was a bit tarter than I was expecting, but I thoroughly enjoyed it with my excellent Craft Bar Burger dinner

11/28 - Thanksgiving was a nice lazy day around the condo and I put a few back throughout the day to earn this year's Beer-giving badge on UNTAPPD.  I had a can of Mango Wit from Proof Brewing over in Tallahassee, FL, to start the day.  I had a bought a six-pack of this one for Ashlee while at Beach Liquors because I thought she would like it (and she did) and so did I. A perfect beach beer even if I only chased it with turkey and dressing!  I got more in the Thanksgiving/fall swing with my next beer from my Beach Liquor variety pack.  The 22nd Anniversary Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing (PA) had a hint of nutmeg and other autumnal spices.  I thought it was great.  I finished the day on another high note with a bottle of the Kentucky Coffee Barrel Cream Ale from Lexington Brewing.  I have really enjoyed their barrel-series of ales and this one was probably one of my favorites of the group.


11/29 - Black Friday was more of a Blue (sky), Green (water) and White (sand) Friday for us as we took to the beach again with fabulous weather.  Since my Beach Liquor variety pack was spent, I grabbed a six-pack of Rosemary Saison Ale from Idyll Hounds Brewing at the attached beer store next to the Craft Bar the other night.  As the can reads "Is it rosemary you crave while watching the waves?"  Why, yes...yes, it is!!  What a lovely beer.  Ashlee and I both loved it...and drank them way too fast.  I needed something else to round out the day, but we were fresh out of what we brought, but soon discovered that the nearby Crab Trap Restaurant has a beach bar!!  I got a draft pour of the decent East Pass IPA from nearby Destin Brewery to close out a great day in the sand.



On our way back to Beach Liquors for another variety six-pack for Ashlee and I to split to close out the week, my brother-in-law, Andy, and I checked out the small, but nice, Destin Brewery.  I liked how quiet it was being situated a few streets off of busy Highway 98. I also liked the interesting brewery-only libations available.  I had the very interesting and flavorful Naga Viper Pepper and Peach IPA.  Talk about hot and sweet!  I will definitely be back here on my next visit "down south."  
Back at the condo I cracked open a can of the Rome City IPA from Brew Pub Brewing (Lakeland, FL).  This 2017 GABF gold-medal winner was fantastic.


Did I mention I really liked my rental car?

11/30 - How is it the later it gets in the month, the warmer it is?  Today was an absolute stunner out on Crystal Beach again. I had three tasty brews in between my wading out into the waves and soaking up rays.  I started with the aptly-named Tasty IPA from 21st Amendment Brewing (CA).  



Next up was another lo-cal  but really tasty IPA from Dogfish Head Brewing (DE) called Slightly Mighty (photo above).  As a fat boy, I am liking this trend!! I finished with a really good pale lager from nearby Props Brewery over in Ft. Walton Beach called Dos Pilotos Cerveza.  

Man, am I gonna miss the beach tomorrow when I head home!!



12/1 - Hey, it's December 1st and you know what that means??  Yes, I have to drive home from the beach, today but it's also the start of the ALDI BEER ADVENT CALENDAR (thanks, Ashlee!!).  I toted Day 1's bottle of beer with me so I could crack it open with Ashlee present.  It was a light and refreshing Wernesgruner Pils from the Wernesgruner (Germany) Brewery.  Wernesgrun is a small town in the far western Saxony area of Germany.  The brewery there is considered a microbrewery. 
I was ready to take the COLDvertible north.  In all honesty, this was a joke photo I sent to some friends.  I actually kept the top down until sunset...sans toboggan!  
Traffic was a nightmare on I-65 north.  No real wrecks, just swarms of people heading north after the holiday weekend.  Egads!  Several times I had to get off and use the by-ways before I lost my mind.  At least the views were pleasant off the damned interstate.  This is the awesome Butler County Courthouse in Greenville, Alabama which traffic circles around in a 360-degree pattern.  
Another interstate dodge south of Birmingham found me very close to Oversoul Brewing in Helena, Alabama, and I just had to stop and take a piss, clear my mind and have a beer!!  I had their awesome Buck Creek Brown ale out on the patio as the sun was setting with some great music being plucked by Rick Carter and his guitar.  This stop probably saved me from going nuts and gave me the gumption to head on north where the traffic mercifully died down once I was out of Birmingham proper. 

(Editor's note:  After posting my stop here on Facebook, I got a note from an acquaintance of mine, Brian Lucas, who said his former co-worker had opened Oversoul Brewing and come to find out he actually served me my beer.  Small world!  Good luck and cheers, small businessman and craft beer brewer!  I will try and stop by again if I get the chance.) 
12/2 - I went to an early evening showing of 21 Bridges at the Providence Theaters after work today (thanks, Regal Unlimited!).  It was pretty good, but also a pretty predictable bad-cop story.  I do like Chadwick Boseman as an actor and it's nice to seem him in a role other than Black Panther.  I had a coat-pocket beer, of course, during the movie.  It was a decent can of Boatswain Double IPA from Rhinelander Brewing (WI) from my Trader Joe's variety pack.  


I got home in time to jump into a Pot Limit Omaha tournament on Global Poker and was thrilled to win the whole thing vs. 67 other players with unlimited rebuys and add-ons  for nearly $200 in profit!  PLO is not my strongest game, but I guess I am getting better at it.  I never rebought despite being down to 800 chips early on and only added on at the first break.  This is my first win of a PLO tournament with a few final table appearances in the past and a second-place finish as my previous best result.  During the tournament I sipped on my # 2 Advent Beer, a pretty good Belgian-style pale ale called Boot Tread from Martens Brewery, a macro-brewery in Belgium.



12/3 -I went to see the 30th Annivesary showing of When Harry Met Sally tonight on the big screen at the Hollywood 27 Theaters at 100 Oaks (recliners!).  This is probably my favorite rom-com ever and since it was only showing for two days, I just had to see it since I don't think I saw it in theaters when it came out originally.  It holds up well, but made me a little sad to know that the two excellent supporting actors, Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher, are no longer with us.  RIP, dear, funny souls.  On the way there I sipped on my # 3 Advent Beer, a quite good Licher Hefe-Weizen from Licher Brewery, a microbrewery in  Lich, Germany, a small town just north of Frankfurt.  I also had time to stop by The Black Abbey Brewing Company before the show and had their excellent milk stout called Folly of Men.  .


12/4 - I had another decent score tonight on Global Poker with a second-place NLHE finish vs. 76 other players with unlimited rebuys and add-ons for right at $60 in profit.  I sipped on my # 4 Advent Beer while playing which was the solid O'Shea's Traditional Irish Stout from O'Hara's/Carlow Brewing in Ireland.

12/5 -  My online poker success continued tonight with a first-place finish in my WSOP Online Poker Series on Pokerstars vs. 19 other local players.  I won a last-longer vs. three other player that netted me over $50 in profit, but more importantly I got a ton more points for the first-place finish to put me solidly in the lead for one of two WSOP packages for next summer.  With only four games left to play, I have a good chance of claiming one of them.  Fingers crossed!!  I enjoyed my # 5 Advent Beer while I played. It was a nice witbier called Kinroo Blue from Martens Macrobrewery in Belgium.  

10% Donation Update:  Thanks to these previously mentioned successes in online poker, I gave $25 to the V Foundation for Cancer Research in memory of my mom.  


12/6 - I took another "mental health" sick day off again today and after sleeping in I headed north for another quick stop at Kentucky Downs to use some play credit and a food voucher they had sent me in the mail.  I then went to the Streets of Indian Lake Theaters in Hendersonville (recliners!) to see an early show of the new thrillerDark Waters starring Mark Ruffalo.  What a great and important film!

I headed into Nashville next to pick up some concert tickets I won from our local independent music station, Lightning 100.  Looks I am going to see the Black Crowes reunion show at the Ascend Amphitheater this summer!!

My evening double-feature was the classic creature-fest, Gremlins, but now in 4DX at the Opry Mills Theaters.  It was a fun blast from the past and timely since I forgot it was set at Christmas time, but I thought the 4DX treatment was kind of weak.  It was much better for The Matrix that I saw a few weeks ago here.


Before the evening movie, I stopped by East Nashville Brew Works for a couple of libations.  I just had to have their new Gruetli Lager since I grew up near the actual place it was named for.  It was a nice smooth bock.  I finished with the Dickerson Dunkel, another dark German-influenced beer that was very good.  With these check-ins, I was proud to earn a Level 100 badge on UNTAPPD for supporting Independent U.S. Craft Brewers.  American small business at its best!!  

I also needed some food before the show, so I checked out the very new and the very cool Hunters Station in East Nashville.  This upscale food-court/market had some great choices for dinner and I settled on one of my Nashville favorites, Vui's Fresh Vietnamese (their rice bowls with beef are amazing!).  I also got a great beer from The Picnic Tap Hunters with my meal.  I chose the J. Henry Original Mild English ale from Calfkiller Brewing over in Sparta, TN,  which I am sure I have had before, but according to UNTAPPD I had not checked it in.  When I got home I had to knock back my # 6 Advent Beer, a decent German-style lager from Martens Brewing (Belgium) called Bacher.




12/7 - After some morning yard-work to start my bachelor weekend,  I headed to East Nashville to pick up a new limited-run bottle release at Living Waters Brewing.  This IPA celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Grimey's Record Store here in Nashville.  I picked up a bottle for my pal, Charly, as well per his request.  I will give my opinion at a later date when I crack it open.  While I was there I did have a pint of Gullfoss (named after my favorite waterfall in Iceland). It's a very good New England IPA that went down as smooth as the water flowing over the brink at Gullfoss itself

.
I headed over to Opry Mills Theaters next to catch an early afternoon showing of the quirky Shia Labeouf  autobiography-of-sorts called, Honey Boy.  This was the only theater besides Belcourt showing this critically-acclaimed film and it seemed worth a chance thanks to Regal Unlimited.  The film kept me interested and was a fascinating look into an actor who I have actually never given much merit to and personally thought was rather overrated.  But seeing what he came through growing up as a child-star with an abusive father, it's a wonder he's still alive or not in jail.  Plus, him playing his own father in the film was truly unique and a rather unforgettable performance.

I headed home for a bit after the movie and sipped on my # 7 Advent Beer, a so-so bottle of O'Sheas Traditional Irish Red Ale from O'Hara's Brewery (Ireland). 


I headed back to Nashville as the sun was setting and stopped by Bearded Iris Brewing and was impressed with how much they have grown not only in production, but in space too.  They have built a nice large deck outside their tasting room that will have to be investigated this spring and summer!  I went for big IPA's for my beer selections.  First up was their fantastic New England IPA called Tunnel Vision DDH Citra (double dry-hopped).  I followed that with a very similar hazy New England IPA called Astro. 


I chose Bearded Iris to visit because it was near The Cowan, the music venue at Top Golf north of downtown Nashville.  I had decided to get a ticket to a show there tonight featuring 3 bands, two of which I knew something about.  The Plain White T's opened the show and were great.  I haven't seen them since back in 2009 when Ashlee and I saw them open for Snow Patrol at The Ryman.  Still opening shows, yet still sounding terrific.  Not sure why these guys haven't gotten bigger.  Next up was a band called New Politics from Denmark who had a ton of energy (and a weird guy in a kilt just sitting there) on stage.  The Mowgli's, out of LA, closed the show and were who I wanted to see the most.  I love their song "Kansas City" and just wanted to see them live.  I was impressed.  Great-sounding and with lots of up-beat songs.  Ashlee would like these guys, so maybe we can see them together sometime soon.  They will do will on the festival circuit I think.

Before the show I stopped by the Germantown location of Jack Brown's Beer and Burgers for a "Greg Brandy" burger and a beer.  I had a pint can of another darn tasty New England IPA called Dream of Perfect Beauty from Foreign Objects Brewing (NY).


12/8 - Since my red-hot Titans didn't play until 3 PM out on the West Coast, I decided to give an early showing of the new murder-mystery film, Knives Out, a chance at the Providence Theaters in Mt. Juliet.  I really had no interest in seeing this movie based on the trailers that made it look like a goofy slap-stick comedy.  It actually isn't, but maybe it should have been?....because I was bored to tears.  I don't see what the big whoop is about this movie?  Yeah, lots of great actors in it, but I just thought it was lame from start to finish.  This is my first real dud since signing up for Regal Unlimited where I am glad I didn't pay full price for this snoozer.  My coat-pocket beer was decent.  It was an American Blonde ale from Cahaba Brewing (Birmingham, AL) that I picked up in a gas station outside B-ham last weekend while driving back from Destin.  I did get home in time to see the Titans kick ass in Oakland and move into a tie for first in the AFC South Division.  TITAN UP!!  I toasted the win with my # 8 Advent Beer, a decent Imperium Premium Lager which is evidently made for Aldi Stores by Martens Brewing in Belgium.




12/9 - I headed back to Opry Mills Theaters tonight to catch the one-night showing of the concert film, INXS: Live Baby Live at Wembley Stadium.  I really loved INXS in my younger days and would have loved to have seen them "live, baby, live" before the tragic death of lead singer, Michael Hutchence. I figured this is as close as I could get.   The 1991 footage was restored this year and the results are great.  Well worth the effort to get there and see it and then drive back through heavy rain.

Before the show I stopped in the nearby Bavarian Bierhaus for dinner and a cold one.  I had a very nice bottle of the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel (Germany) with my usual dinner, the Indian-flavored curry sausage.  I also had my Advent Beer # 9 on the way to Opry Mills.  It was a bottle of also very good Wernesgruner Dark lager (Germany).



12/10 - Lebanon is adding some new murals around town and even updating some that they already have.  This existing and historic one over on S. Cumberland at the Lebanon Antique Mall got a nice and much-needed face-lift recently,  I love murals especially in this somewhat drab town!  Tonight I had my # 10 Advent Beer, a bottle of the decent O-Shea's Double India Pale Ale from O'Hara's/Carlow Brewery (Ireland).



12/11 - The 2019 Beer Tree is bigger and better than ever and even takes center stage in the living room this year with Ashlee down in Florida for the holiday.  New additions to "ye o' brewski tannebaum" include Steam Whistle Brewing from Toronto, Asgard Brewing out in Columbia, TN, Hix Farms Brewing up in Cookeville, TN, 3 Brasseurs from Canada, Country Boy Brewing in Kentucky, the Vinyl Tap in Nashville, and Grayton Beer Company from Florida.  I sat and admired my work tonight while sipping on my  # 11 Advent Beer, a bottle of very good 1758 Belgian Indian Pale Ale from Martens Brewery (Belgium).



I dedicate the next seven beers to seven years on the UNTAPPD app.  Salute!!

12/12 -  I had a full day off before flying down to Destin via Pensacola and Southwest Airlines late tonight to see my baby again for a long weekend.  I started the day off at home after some fresh sausage and biscuits for breakfast with my # 12 Advent Beer, a bottle of the decent O'Shea's Grapefruit India Pale Ale (hey, it had grapefruit in it!). Since there are only three new beers left in the advent calendar (the rest are repeats). I will leave them for next week when I am back home instead of toting them down to Florida.



I had an errand to run in Green Hills, so I thought I would catch an early showing of the new film, Queen and Slim, at the Green Hills Theaters.  I love this cool fan-art movie poster for the film.  The movie?  Not so much.  Look I am all for the "Black Lives Matter" Movement, but this film just wasn't very good or realistic in my humble (and, yes, white) opinion.  It's getting good reviews and making money, so I am happy about that, but I just thought it was a weak effort overall.



I have been hearing about the The Donut + Dog over on Belcourt Avenue for a while now, and figured it was worth checking out today for lunch.  Their craft beer choices were limited, so I chose a repeat that I had only had a sip of in the past, the excellent Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Leinenkugel Brewing (WI).  My dog was tasty too, but the place was a little pricey.  I don't see me coming back unless Ashlee wants to do a donut pairing with beer sometime.


I got much better beer choices at Hops and Crafts down in The Gulch.  I haven't been here in a while and forgot what a small place it is.  But their beer choices are impressive as always.  I started with a super-hazy NEIPA called Thanks Paul! by Tailgate Brewing here in Nashville in honor of the greatly-loved PA announcer at the Preds games.  It was darn good, and it felt really nice to enjoy it out on their deck since it was 22 degrees yesterday morning!  I ended with a fantastic Stone Enjoy By 01.01.20 Unfiltered IPA. Since it's an imperial IPA it came in a 10-ounce pour in a cool fat-bottom glass (photo above).  Ain't she a pretty thing shot in "portrait" mode on my I-Phone?
When we landed in Pensacola, Florida, late tonight, my friend Danny and I split a six-pack of Eightfive-O pale ales from Proof Brewing over in Tallahassee at a gas station near the airport.   Danny's wife, Brenda, was kind enough to drive the hour-long route to Destin while we sipped.  They went down smooth and lovely.
12/13 - My first full day in back in Destin meant, of course, a visit back to Beach Liquors and their exquisite craft beer selection.  I got a couple of variety packs to hold me over this long party weekend.  Back at the condo, I cracked open an outstanding Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout from Lost Cost Brewing (CA).  Next up was a bottle of Night Owl Pumpkin Ale from Elysian Brewing (WA) that was top-notch.
We headed to Harbor Docks Restaurant for a late lunch and I had a solid Big Nose IPA from Swamp Head Brewing over in Gainesville, Florida, with my tasty meal of grilled gulf shrimp  Back at the condo to close out the night I had a Parish Pilsner from Parish Brewing (LA) that was light and tasty..  
12/14 - The weather cooperated for us to hit the beach this afternoon and I took a nice trio with me to enjoy in the sand.  The Love Street kolsch from Karbach Brewing (TX) was a perfect light beach beer.  The Juicy Brut IPA from Short's Brewing (MI) was light and fruity and was another great libation for sitting in the sun.  I finished with a La La Land IPA from Proof Brewing (FL) that was very nice.
I think I earned this UNTAPPD badge today!!

We were back at Harbor Docks Restaurant again for dinner tonight and I had a nice Palapa Pale Ale from Idyll Hounds Brewing over in Santa Rosa Beach with my awesome self-invented "Cajun Combo" -- a bowl of seafood gumbo and a mud-bug sushi roll.  
It was back to the beach (Santa Rosa, to be exact) tonight for our SANDY CLAWS Party under a million stars in our custom onesies for the cool evening temps.  I enjoyed four more variety-packers including the very good Emerald Coast Kolsch from Destin Brewery; the real tasty Skyway Hazy DIPA from Green Bench Brewing over in St. Petersburg, Florida;  the solid Beach Blonde Ale from 3 Daughters Brewing also in St. Pete (this is the craft brewery Hillary visited during her presidential campaign); and best for last the outstanding Pumpkin Spice Latte from Swamp Head Brewing (Gainesville, FL).  
I definitely earned this UNTAPPD badge tonight! 
12/15 - We tried Crystal Beach again today, but the wind was relentless, so we only stayed long enough for a pint can of the very good Triggerfish Porter from Sailfish Brewing in Fort Pierce, Florida.  Back at the condo I killed a can of Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery (TX).  For a dunkelweizen, it was light and fruity for a Christmas beer.
At a late lunch at Dewey Destin's Harborside Restaurant I had a decent Uncommon Blonde from Destin Brewery.  Later that night I had an OK Li'l Napoleon IPA from Pensacola Bay Brewery while at the Pensacola Beach House airport restaurant before flying back home.  
12/16 - A brand new mural here in Lebanon celebrating the town's bicentennial that is a real beauty is located on W. Gay Street near The Square.   Tonight, I got back to my Aldi's Advent Beer Calendar and had # 13, a nice bottle of Sozoens Blond farmhouse ale from Martens Brewing (Belgium)
12/17 - I try not to miss anything my favorite actor, Sam Rockwell, is in. And so I took in the new Clint Eastwood film, Richard Jewell, tonight at Providence Theaters in Mt. Juliet.  I, of course, brought a coat-pocket beer for the show: a pint can of Say What?, an aged IPA from Duck Rabbit Brewing (NC) that was from my Asheville variety-pack.  It was decent.  The movie was excellent with Rockwell and the rest of the cast giving superb performances.



12/18 - I got two free passes to an early screening of the new World War I film1917.  (Very early since it's not released in Nashville until January 10).  The movie is stunning and non-stop since it's filmed like one continuous shot.  I was exhausted at the end of it!  My poker friend, John, joined me at Opry Mills Theaters for the movie and dinner beforehand at the Bavarian Brewhaus. I had my # 14 Advent Calendar Beer on the way: a bottle of Broegel Bock Beer from Martens Brewery (Belgium).  The bottle labeling and the beer itself looked and tasted like a Shiner Bock and those are tasty.    With dinner I had a couple half pints.  First was the light and refreshing Reissdorf Kolsch from Heinrich Reissdorf Brewing (Cologne, Germany).  I ended with a very nice Munich Dunkel/Munich Dark from the Hacker-Pschorr macro-brewer (Munich, Germany).


12/19:  Tonight I had Advent Beer # 15:  a pretty good bottle of O'Shea's Irish Lager from O"Hara's/Carlow Brewing (Ireland).  This will be the last Advent Beer I will document here since the final 9 are repeats.  Luckily for me, I also have cheese, chocolate and peppermint-bark advent calendars that are getting me through the rest of the month!!  I had to miss opening night of the new Star Wars movie for my local online poker league, but it was worth it as I grabbed second place in the tournament and won a small last-longer for $30+ in profit.  More importantly, this high finish puts me in a great position to take down one of the WSOP prize packages with only two games left!! 
12/20 - I did get to see the new film, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, in IMAX tonight with my best friend, Craig, and his family. at the Streets of Indian Lake Theaters in Hendersonville.  We all had dinner beforehand at Blossom Thai and Craft Door Cellar near the theaters.  With my awesome meal I had a delightful Fuzzy Foot cream ale from Half Batch Brewing here in Hendersonville.  I finished with a very tasty Grapefruit and Thyme Kombucha from Flying Embers Brewing (CA).  The movie was fantastic despite what some critics are saying.  I thought it was a great ending to the saga.
I have really enjoyed my "Bachelors Week" with just my fuzzy boy, Zippy, and me in the quiet house.  Half-feral and usually preferring to be outside, Zippy has adjusted well in his old age to being inside and avoiding the cold temps and rainy weather we've had lately.
12/21- I flew back to Destin early this morning via a Southwest Airlines flight into Panama City where Ashlee picked me up.  Stocked up again at Beach Liquors with a couple of variety 6-packs of craft beer for the holidays ahead.  The first one I cracked open was a very good English-style IPA called Circus City from Big Top Brewing over in Sarasota, Florida.  I snuck it in to the new Cats film at the AMC Destin Commons Theaters,  Ashlee and I both enjoyed the weird little musical despite it getting panned by the critics.


Back at the condo I opened an intriguing bottle of smoked beer called IV: To A Locomotive In Winter (Leaves of Grass Series) from the always-interesting Bell's Brewery (MI).  This is the fourth of seven beers inspired by the literary classic "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman.  Which I could find all of them! 


12/22 - "It's time for Hanukkah, so put on your yamaka...".  Why is that silly crap even in my head?  Thanks, Adam Sandler, you goof.  Anyway, I did raise a cold one to the Jewish holiday today with a bottle of Arabicadabra milk stout from Bell's Brewery (MI).  It went down smooth and easy as I finally got to see The Aeronauts on Amazon Prime since it never made it to the big screen where I was.  Too bad, I bet it would have been great in a theater.  Two thumbs up! 
I also earned this cool Bell's badge on UNTAPPD.  I have got to visit these guys when I get a chance.  They have steadily become one of  my favorite US brewers.
I just love this silly beer label for my next  rainy-day condo brew, a pale ale from Dogfish Head Brewing (DE) called American Beauty inspired by The Grateful Dead album of the same name.  I am not much of a Dead Head, but I did like this beer.  I followed that up with a pretty good blonde ale from Funky Buddha Brewing (FL) called Pineapple Beach.
At least the rainy day/night brought me a win on online poker in a Crazy Pineapple tournament  vs.50 other players for $70+ in profit! 
12/23 - Another rainy day brought a few more brews my way including a terrific day-starting bottle of Reve Coffee Stout from Parish Brewing (LA).  We had a delicious lunch at P.F. Chang's (haven't been to one in years!) and with it I had a bottle of the excellent Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale from Kiuchi Brewery (Japan).  I closed out the day with a second viewing of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in IMAX and a nice can of Honey Saison from Green Bench Brewing over in Saint Pete at our new beach digs, a house we've rented before in the Destiny East subdivision.  

12/24 - FINALLY the sun came back out in time for Christmas Eve in Destin.  We headed to Crystal Beach with a few canned brews in tow, of course.  I started with a smooth fruit beer called Rose for Daze from Oskar Blues Brewing (CO and NC). Next up was the terrific Tourist Trappe Belgian tripel from M.I.A. Beer Company (Miami).  I also had a repeat beer because Ashlee and I deemed it the best beach beer around, the excellent Rosemary Saison Ale from Idyll Hounds Brewing over in nearby Santa Rosa Beach, FL. 


12/25 - Merry Brew-mas from Destin!!   My only new beer today was the excellent Hawaiian Lion Coconut and Coffee Porter from Big Top Brewing over in Sarasota, FL.  My best gift of the day was a $50 gift card to Beach Liquors from my brother-in-law, Andy! Time to stock up for the new year! I promptly headed to Beach Liquors and got an awesome 12-pack of variety pint cans with it.


12/27 - I toasted my surprising success in our fantasy football league this year with a second-place finish despite a real Jekyll and Hyde team all season that somehow pulled it together through the playoffs until the final in which I got walloped by the league-leader all year, my pal Jeremy, and his juggernaut team led by the amazing Ravens quarterback, Lamar Jackson.  Here's to Oh, for Pete's Hake! as I raised and then summarily downed a pint can of the solid VIBES Pilsner from the Almanac Beer Company (CA).
I celebrated the season finale episode of The Mandalorian, my favorite new Star Wars show, with a can of Prophets of Outrage, a tasty stout from 3 Stars Brewing (Washington, DC) and the second selection from the Andy Christmas Present Variety 12-Pack.  I just love this fan-art poster of a mash-up of the show and one my favorite underrated 80's comedy films.  
12/28 - After a long day of traveling back home and unloading all our crap, I dug around in the fridge and found the last (and a goof selection since it was a cider) in my Asheville variety-pack, and it turned out to be pretty good.  The Scarlett Rose cider from Appalachian Mountain Cidery in Boone, NC, combines cinnamon, plums, hibiscus and rose hips for an awesome blend. 



12/29 - Like a dumb-dumb, I dropped my house keys in Hendersonville a week or so ago at the movies.  Like a lucky-duck, they found them, so I happily headed back up there to collect them today.  It's hard for me to go to H-ville and not stop by the Blossom and Cellar Door Craft Cavern for a libation and a snack for lunch.  I opted for the very good Hazy Juicy Hoppy Fresh Waimea and Motueka IPA from Hi-Wire Brewing (Asheville, NC).  

I got home afterwards in time to watch the Titans play and afternoon game against the Texans for a chance at the playoffs.  I cracked open a bomber bottle of Grimey's 20th Anniversary Beer that I picked up at Living Waters Brewing over in East Nashville a couple weeks ago (aka earlier in this blog entry). I enjoyed its hoppy freshness in my second-favorite Christmas gift:  this cool and ornate insulated beer mug from my sister-in-law, Paige!  Thanks, PCH! 
I finished my beer toasting a win by the Titans to propel them into the playoffs as a 6th-seed wild card.  Hey, you take what you can get.  I sure didn't expect this back in Week 6 when we were 2-4 and changing quarterbacks!  Let's get them Patriots!! 
Hosers love beer, eh...

No comments: