Wednesday, May 31, 2023

An Old Plane, an Old Rocker and some celebrity BOOKings


Thinking back with a smile of my great trip to The Finger Lakes last month.


5/1 -
I went to see a late afternoon matinee of Return of the Jedi which is back in theaters for its 40th anniversary at the Regal Theaters at Opry Mills.   Still not my favorite of the original trilogy, but I enjoyed seeing it again on the big screen.  40 years...how is that possible?  


5/2
 - Well, my day to be a background extra in Holland, Michigan movie production starring Nicole Kidman finally happened today after a postponement, a flip-flopping of the new date to shoot, etc.  I had a bad feeling about this one based on these delays, and I was right to feel that way.  It was pretty much a waste of a day.  Instead of three scenes as I was originally cast for, it changed to just one as a restaurant patron.  Then my promised "moving background" role by the assistant director got tossed due to time constraints, I guess.  So, in the end, I sat around for eight-plus hours, got in zero scenes and didn't even see Nicole even though she was probably 50 feet away.   At least I got paid, fed, got free Diet Mtn Dews, and it was interesting to watch the production set up around and inside Swett's Restuarant in West Nashville (for a while, not 8 hours' worth).  Disappointing overall, but I would try again because based on my first background experience with the "George and Tammy" series that went so well, I have to think this particular production was just a mess to begin with and not typical. 


5/3 - I went to play Euchre again tonight at Prost and Riot in Mt. Juliet
with my friend, Tom.  I had a ball with it last month, so why not give it another go.  The cards were not compliant tonight and my blind-draw partner and I lost three games in a row.  Oh well, the beer was good at least.  While playing I enjoyed a pint of the very good Grevensteiner Original Naturtrubes Landbier, a kellerbier from Veltins Brewery in Germany.    Next up was a decent Italian pilsner from Yazoo Brewing up in Madison.  I finished with a tasty and refreshing helles lager, the Aldersbacher Urhell from Aldersbacher Brewery in Germany. 


5/4 - I had 
a flight booked on the vintage Ford Tri-Motor plane here at the Lebanon Airport for this weekend, but the weather forecast is not looking great, so I was able to move my flight up to today with nice partly cloudly weather.    This 1926-built beauty is only one of a few remaining, so I felt fortunate to get to take a ride in it right around the corner from the house.  In fact, I walked to the airport which ended up being about 5 miles total since check-in was on the far end of the airport at their cool new main building.  


The take-off, ride and landing were very smooth.  And the window seat was rather comfortable actually. 


My signature hand/set early on in this $1 turbo bounty tournament today on Global was a foreshadowing of the win I got over 79 others with eight knockouts.   I turned $1 entry into $21 in profit.  Small potatoes money-wise, but that's still a 2000% ROI.  


I went to opening night of 
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 at the IMAX theater at the Streets of Indian Lake in Hendersonville with my pal, Toney, tonight.  Beforehand, we had dinner at the new Double Dogs in Gallatin where I had a super-smooth and flavorful nitro Bertha Oatmeal Stout from Fat Bottom Brewing here in Nashville with my tasty meal.   The movie was outstanding, but man was it dark and disturbing at times.  That sure is a HARD PG-13 there, Marvel Studios.  


5/6 - Another Bachelor Week
 began for me today as I took Ashlee to the airport early for her to catch a flight down to Orlando for a girls' cruise.   I decided to head up to play in a weekly poker tournament at The Triple Barrel Social Club in Franklin, Kentucky.  I guess this is legal? I've been watching them on Facebook for a while and they haven't been shut down or raided, so let's give it a whirl.  I "joined" the club for a $10 one-day membership and then I "rented a chair" for $40 to play in the $200 buy-in tournament.  Frustratingly, I finished on the bubble in fifth place with only 4 getting paid out of 16 including some rebuys.  A much smaller turnout than I was expecting, but not a bad experience overall.  I will probably go again if the chance arises. 
Probably the most interesting and valuable thing I got from today was a statement I heard an older Asian fellow sitting next to me at the final table say.  As we watched the news report of yet another mass shooting development in north Texas, he said with real sincerity that more people should play poker and learn how to deal with adversity and bad beats that they can take with them into everyday life because life is hard and will have its share of bad beats, but being a poker player seems to help to with you cope with them and forge on.  Great observation, sir! 

(Editor's note:  I relayed this bit of poker table wisdom via email to a national poker podcast I listen to called "Ante Up" and the host, Joe Scales, actually used it in his weekly final segment called "Joe's One Outers" and gave me full name credit for it.  Thanks, Joe!)


5/7 
- I went to see the boxing classic film, Raging Bull with a 4K Restoration at the Belcourt Theatre today.  I've honestly never seen it before, so this seems the way to do it even though I am not the biggest Martin Scorsese film fan.  I thought the film was, again, OK at best.  Sorry, I think Marty is overrated as a director, folks. I did have a decent beer during the movie - the Cold Snap 2023 winter wheat beer from Samuel Adams Brewing (Boston). 

Afterwards, I stopped by Rice Vice by Proper Saki in East Nashville to meet my beer pal, Nate, and to try a couple of limited rice beers in their "Get Nice on Rice" program as part of the Craft Brewers Conference going on this week in Nashville.  I started with the excellent Super Super Turbo Turbo rice lager from Halfway Crooks Brewing (new to me - Atlanta).  Next was the decent, but a bit watery, Irusu rice lager from Wiseacre Brewing out in Memphis.  I finished with a small taster serving of the 1% ABV (barely) "hard" kombucha called Rice Mother from Walker Brothers Brewing here in Nashville who were also co-hosting the event. 


5/8 - I headed downtown this afternoon to meet my best friend, Craig, to do a little brewery-hopping and have dinner before the first show of a SOLD OUT 3-night stand by John Mellencamp at The Ryman.  This turned into Craig's retirement gift from me after Ashlee booked a cruise the same week as this show.  Congrats to my old pal for getting to close up shop for good at the end of the month! The show was very good after a bit of a rough start.  The 71-years-young "Johnny Cougar" has still got the gusto and a few of those cool moves from the past.   Good to see this living legend while we can!


We stayed overnight in East Nashville at the kinda hip and cool 
Waymore's Guest House and Casual Club.  It's a great location in walking distance to great food (and beer).  And then just a short Uber ride over the river to downtown.  Our room was quiet, spacious and modern.  


Our first walking beer stop was The Picnic Tap at Hunter's Station where I started with the excellent pilsner called Speed Castle from 3 Floyds Brewing (IN).  I finished with the Picnic Tap's own solid House Hazy NEIPA made for them by Honky Tonk Brewing here in Nashville. 

Our next stop was Smith and Lentz Brewing where I had a tall uber-pint of their excellent Turn on the Lights Dark Czech Lager.

Food was the next order of business at the Joyland burger joint where I also enjoyed a bottle of their own Joybier brewed for them by Harding House Brewing here in Nashville. 

We closed out the great night back at the very nice and airy hotel bar with a non-beer nightcap of George Dickel bourbon neat for Craig and a nice white Russian for me.  


5/9 - Before heading out this morning, we walked up to Snooze - An A.M. Eatery for a late breakfast.  The choices for breakfast were really unique.  I got a 3-egg omelet with chicken sausage, roasted corn and cheddar cheese (my combination choice) that was excellent and opted to change out my toast for an delicious sweet potato pancake.  What a great find!  We have got to come here again and explore more of their large and inventive menu!  I finished up some work in my comfy hotel room before checking out and heading back home. 

The afternoon turned into a rather hot and sunny one - perfect for a pool float and a patio hangout.
  I continued to clean out my beer drawer in the fridge with a can of the excellent Cali Creamin' Creamsicle cream ale from my pal, Curtis.  Thanks, bud!  I continued with a tasty English-style stout with a nice cinnamon linger called Raze the Dawn from War Pigs Brewing (USA?).  Next was a pint can of the aptly named Poolside Breeze, an OK Berliner Weisse that was more tart than sour. Last was a decent high-ABV barleywine called Killer Penguin from Boulder (CO) Beer Company.  


 5/10 - Tonight I went to see Better Than Ezra lead singer, Kevin Griffin, at Parnassus Books in Nashville discussing his recent book, "The Greatest Song: Spark Creativity, Ignite Your Career, and Transform Your Life."  Along with meeting him, I got a personalized signed copy of the book as well.   Talented and famed song writer, Sam Hollander, was the moderator and I got to meet him briefly as well.   Kevin even played a few acoustic songs and called out my wearing of a Pilgrimage Festival T-shirt which he started a few years back.  Very cool!! 

Beforehand, I finished up work and avoided Nashville rush hour at the 12th South Tap Room where I had an excellent Chocolate Milk Shake Nitro Porter from Boulder (CO) Beer and finished with an OK Saison de Lis from Perennial Artisan Ales (St. Louis).  


On my way into Nashville today, I stopped in Mt. Juliet and sprung Sunny from the doggy day-care/boarding place she's been at this week with Ashlee out of town.  We spent about an hour nosing around Old Hickory Lake and she seemed to enjoy her time out.  Who says I don't love this dog?? 

5/11 - It was another Parnassus Books event tonight, this time it was the SOLD OUT talk with superstar actor, Tom Hanks, about his new novel, "The Making of Another Motion Picture Masterpiece" with my movie-loving friend, Brenda.   This event was too big for the store, so it was held at the quite large Curry Hall in the Burkholder Wellness Center at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.  Brenda and I got there pretty early and were able to grab front row seats!  Tom was a hoot and talked for well over an hour about his experiences on movie sets that helped lead to writing his novel.  We also each got a hardback copy of the book with our admission. 

Beforehand, I finished up work and avoided Nashville rush hour at the 51 North Taproom where I had the light and refreshing Bibo pilsner from Creature Comforts Brewing (GA) and the interesting and tasty (and GABF gold medal winner) Rockhill and Locust English style mild dark ale from BKS Artisan Ales (Kansas City) along with a pretty good dinner of their brisket quesadilla. 


5/12
 - I decided sort of last minute to run up to the Harrah's in Cherokee, NC for the World Series of Poker Circuit Event # 13.  I did OK, making it to Level 8 with nearly 400 entrants before running my tens into jacks.  I fired another bullet in the 7 PM tournament again running pretty good until my AJ ran into AA.  No cashes.  That kind of day, I guess. 


I was able to snag my same sweet AirBnb room in Waynesville that I had on my last visit.  Thanks again, April, for the comfy and quiet place to crash.  


5/13
 - I had some wins today with two new-to-me Tennessee waterfalls (technically four waterfalls, two named) that I visited on my way home from North Carolina.  First up was the interesting Triple Falls of Bruce Creek in Caryville north of Knoxville.  The trail was pretty easy and quick.  There was also a pretty smaller drop below this main one.  Someone in my Facebook waterfall group said that this waterfall is actually somewhat man-made after the interstate was built nearby.  I noticed the explosive drill markings on the far wall of the little canyon which was a clue to me this place had a history beyond nature.  Still a pretty nice result! 


Next up was about an hour farther east at Melton Mill Branch Falls off the Lily Bluff Trail of the Obed Wild and Scenic River Area near the small town of Lancing.  This pretty drop isn't even mentioned on the trail signs, but there was a rough spur trail to its base.  I have looked for this one before while here but gave up when I didn't see a sign for it.  But, after some further research, I was ready this time!  Well worth the return trip.  What a beauty! 


There is also this very pretty cascade below the falls on Melton Mill Branch as it rushes toward the Obed River.  


I had the place all to myself except for this big guy stretched out on a mossy boulder above the lower cascade.  
One thing I did find the last time I was here was the awesome Lily Pad Hopyard Brewery just up the road.  I stopped in for a couple of pints again including their rich and tasty Viking Honey Rye brown ale and their nice saison called Ruby Slippers.  


It was a pretty drive home as well through one of my favorite areas of Tennessee.  


5/14 
- I had my weekend rental car - a nice Chevy Equinox (a free upgrade from my "small sedan" reservation - thanks, local Hertz rental office!) - for another full day, but for the life of me could not think of a decent place to go before picking Ashlee up later this afternoon at the airport.  So, I just ran a few errands including dropping by the Mt. Juliet Beer Company to get a 10-can variety pack for around the house and for camping next weekend.  I cracked my first one open later in the afternoon after some mowing and a well-deserved float in the pool.  The Green Man Lager was light (just 118 calories) and refreshing.  Can't believe those guys have been around in Asheville for almost 30 years! 


5/15 - Check out the big Hollywood paycheck!!  This is technically my biggest payday for background work so far (and I didn't do much at all, but I will take it!). I had a couple more pool float beers today from my variety 10-pack after mowing and weed eating.  First up was the excellent IPA called Infinity-Hero from Revolution Brewing (Chicago).  Next up was another great IPA called Nerd Nectar from Green Man Brewery over in Asheville. 


5/17
 - It was a beautiful day for a beer crawl this afternoon before our next comedy show at Cedar City Brewing tonight.  I started with a visit to historic Lebanon Woolen Mill (photo above) which now houses TennLakes Brewing.  I had their Sinking Creek Cream Ale and sadly it was just not that good.  I worry for the future of these guys here.  This space has seemed cursed in the past for keeping good establishments here and without some killer beer, even the great Prince Street Pizza from Gallatin being served here may not be enough for a longtime stay. 

I jumped on over to Cedar City Brewing to have their Wednesday special of wings and a beer for $15 next.  I had their new and excellent CDR CTY Maibock.  Now this is how you do great local beer! 

I walked over to The Cedar Tap next as the brewery cleared house to prep for the comedy show and had a very interesting five-brewery collaboration.  It was a wild blonde ale called Octatonic by Yazoo Brewing up in Madison with the help of four other breweries from across the country:  Russian River (CA); Jester King (Austin, TX); Allagash (Portland, Maine) and Green Bench (St. Pete, FL). 

The comedy show was fantastic, and I had two more CDR CITY Maibocks to give me quite the buzz! 


5/18 - It was an eventful day today in the history of craft beer here in Wilson County.  I stopped by the groundbreaking celebration for the new East (of) Nashville Beer Works facility off of Hwy. 109.  They were even serving up free beer and I had a repeat of their solid flagship East Bank Citra IPA.  They project to be open in about a year and this will be the main brewing facility for them then with a large tap room and restaurant included.  Can't wait!! 


I re-upped my Beer Box subscription now that pool weather is upon us, and my May box arrived today with a nice assortment of craft beer including three IPAs, a couple lagers, a sour, a fruit beer and a milk stout.  More on these later as I crack them open in or around the pool! 


5/19
 - Holy flashbacks, Batman!! Our camping plans got rained out/delayed, so I cracked open a couple here at home as a toast to our Happy 22nd Wedding Anniversary today!!  First up was the excellent rye stout called Repo Man from Revolution Brewing (Chicago) from my recent Mt. Juliet Beer Company variety-pack, and then a nice, crisp lager called Lagerado from O'Dell Brewing (CO) - the first from the aforementioned Beer Box.  Here's to all that dark hair gone to gray!  It was all worth it!! Cheers, Ashlee, my love!! 


This one's for Doyle.  I played ten-deuce today in a small tournament on Global in honor of the passing of poker legend, Doyle Brunson, this week.  I won the hand with a bluff repping better than a pair of tens...the tournament itself was another story.  RIP, good sir.  


5/20
 - We had VIP tickets to the Southern Skies Festival in Knoxville this weekend and while dodging rain tonight I used my three allotted drink tokens to grab a couple old repeat favorites while watching one of our favorite bands, The Dirty Guv'nahs, tear it up on stage.  The classic Seirra Nevada Brewing Company's Pale Ale (CA) went down smooth and easy, as did two of their Hazy Little Thing NEIPAs. 


5/21
- ...but our pool more! We skipped day two of the festival since we didn't know any of the musical acts and floating in the pool sounded better.  During my float I enjoyed a couple from my Mt. Juliet Beer Company variety pack including the surprisingly less than stellar AlphaGator double IPA from Abita Brewing (LA), and the light and refreshing Maine Blueberry wheat beer from UFO Beer Company (Boston).  I also had one from my recent Beer Box delivery - the nice Super Rica IPA from Cruz Blanca Brewing (Chicago).


5/23
 - I went to see the latest installment in the seemingly never-ending franchise called Fast X tonight at the Roxy Theaters (recliners!) here in town with my pal, Toney.  The movie was silly, over-the-top and fun as expected and even left quite the surprising cliffhanger at the end.  Bring on Furious Eleven!! 

Beforehand, I got a pool float in before the unpredicted late afternoon rain came in where I enjoyed a couple of craft beers (on the clock).  First up was a pint can of the terrific Death Grip IPA from Pig Minds Brewing (IL - new to me) from my recent Beer Box order.  I finished with the pretty good Throwback Vibes IPA from Urban South Brewing (New Orlean).  This one was from my Mt. Juliet Beer variety pack.  


5/24 - Here's to yet another baby fawn in our back yard this year which is surprising since we now have a dog.  But always great and sweet to see!  I toasted the little fella during a pool float this afternoon with a can of the light and refreshing Lime Lager from Tailgate Brewing in here Nashville.  This one was part of my recent Mt. Juliet Beer Company variety pack. 


5/25
 - I took Sunny with me up to Cedar City Brewing today for a bit and we enjoyed sitting outside for a visit with my friends, Curtis and Kate, and I also enjoyed a couple brews including their new CDR CTY Porter and a repeat of their excellent Hazy IPA.  

Earlier today I went by M.L. Rose at Mt. Juliet for lunch and a brew while having the oil changed on our Honda Accord nearby.  I have to say I was really disappointed in this visit and probably won't be coming back here.  First up, they were out of two advertised beers that they say they had.  I settled for an OK Bikini Blonde Lager from Maui (HI) Brewing.  Next, they had removed my favorite menu item, the ANM.L. fries.  Lastly, the ANM.L. burger I got was decent, but the house made chips were cold and old. I should have complained on this last one but didn't.  


5/26 -
Dammit, why don't these guys have merch for sale??  I NEED me some Fat Orange Cat swag!!  I toasted the upcoming long holiday weekend tonight with a couple more pool float libations including this nice Belgian blonde ale called Read the Room from FOC Brewing (CT).   I followed that with an excellent Fuzzy Fresh fruit ale that has a great orange opening burst and a sweet peachy finish.  Both of these were from my recent Beer Box order.  


5/27 -
I drove up to The Cedar Tap (I would do enough walking behind the lawnmower today) and checked out the food truck on site called The Floppin' Fish.  Let me tell you, that's pretty much the best catfish I've ever had!!  Whatever spices are in their rub, it's perfect!!  And the corn nuggets and hushpuppies were top-notch too!!  These guys are local, so I will be following them for more stops in the future!!   My beer choices were the excellent IWB Pub Ale English bitter (in the photo above) from The Black Abbey Brewing Company here in Nashville, and the light and smooth Savage Gulf Cold IPA from Tennessee Brew Works in Nashville as well.  Since the nitro wasn't working too well, I also got a free sampler of the Nitro Cali Creamin' from Mother Earth Brewing (CA). 


5/28 -
I went to the NSC game vs. Columbus tonight with my pal, Danny.  It was a thrilling come from behind 3-1 win for the Boys in Gold!  Beforehand, we had a couple brews at Fait La Force Brewing in exchange for some free parking.  First up for me was their lovely and roasted East of the Rhine altbier.  I finished with their light and smooth pale lager called Mornings of Gold.  

Before all that, I also had a couple beers around the pool where it was just a bit too cool to float.  I started with the rich and decadent Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Imperial Milk Stout from Lexington Brewing and then followed it with the decent Oatmeal Stout from Schlafly Brewing (St. Louis).  These were both in bottles from a hard-to-complete variety four-pack at Lebanon Wine and Spirits.  Man, their craft beer aisle has really gone down since the last time I was in there.  Pretty disappointing.  I guess the trek to Mt. Juliet Beer Company will be back in rotation now.  


5/29 -
We finally got a little pool float time in this afternoon for the first time this Memorial Day Weekend.  I toasted the fallen that this day was meant to honor with a nice crisp lager from Allagash Brewing (ME) called Seconds to Summer - very appropriate name for this time of year.  

No comments: