Monday, December 15, 2008

3 of a Kind in a Full House

Three more quick entries that I tried over the past couple of weeks obtained from local grocery stores.

Black Dog Ale - I bought this six-pack at the local Publix to cushion the blow of a house full of in-laws coming up for the holidays. God I love 'em, but God they are loud. Decent beer with a bit of an aftertaste that would probably prevent me from buying anymore of it. It's produced by Montana's Spanish Peak's Brewing which according to their website has been on a bit of a hiatus until recently. Cool website and I do like their affiliation with The Humane Society.

1554 Enlightened Black Ale - I bought this six-pack at the Kroger in Mt. Juliet on my way to play in a Friday night tournament at the Poker Barn. Great taste and excellent finish (which is more than I can say for my results at poker that night). This is a New Belgium product which is more famous for it's Fat Tire craft beer which I am seeing more advertising about recently around this area. Haven't tried the Fat Tire yet, but I am definitely encouraged to do so based on the 1554 Ale. New Belgium is a thriving Colorado microbrewery.

Trader Jose Dark Lager - My wife, Ashlee, was kind enough to snag this six-pack for me on her visit to the newly-opened Trader Joe's Market in Nashville. She said they had an expansive beer selection, so I am looking forward to checking that out myself in the near future. This dark lager that is actually produced in Mexico was actually very good and reminded me a lot of Negro Modelo. I sure would love to be sitting on a Mexican beach somewhere with some of it on ice right now!

2 comments:

Craig and Alison Harris said...

It occurs to me that I should try to do a guest blog for you on a beer or two from my visit to Sierra Leone. If I recall correctly, the beer we can get there is either from Nigeria or Egypt... either way, it is beer you can't just get anywhere?

How about it?

Rob and Ashlee said...

you would be more than welcome to do a guest blog. Do the "research" and let me know when you are ready to post it.