Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Spending time in the CariBEERean

One of my goals during a recent Caribbean cruise was to try as many different beers as possible - wait a minute...isn't that my goal in life? Never mind...status quo....on to the beer.

San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Medalla Beer - I think "Medalla" is Spanish for "Miller" - pure pilsner piss. They love it down there...probably because it's cheap and plentiful. Y'all can keep it.

Old Harbor Brewery - located in Old Town San Juan - great place and the only microbrewery in Puerto Rico per my research. I had the Old Harbor Brew Pale Ale which was a solid contender. My wife, Ashlee, went light with the Coqui Lager. She only drank half of it and I polished it off, of course, so I am checking it off the list as well. It actually was a very pleasing for a light-colored lager.

St. Kitts:

Carib Beer - Think of it as a poor man's Red Stripe. Just like St. Kitts is a poor man's Jamaica. Excellent tropical lager brewed and bottled right on the island of St. Kitts (went by the brewery on a island tour - it was not much to look at). I think ice-cold light-colored lagers are only acceptable in warm tropical settings. I love Red Striple when I am in Key West (and avoid them when I am at home) and I had enough Caribs in St. Kitts and the next day in St. Maarten to say I love them when I am in the Caribbean.

Caribbean Sea:

Flying Dog In-Heat Hefeweizen - I ordered this craft beer on board the cruise ship since it was the only microbrew available via room service. Not bad for a wheat ale. Flying Dog is a legendary microbrewery out of Maryland that has been popular for many years.

No comments: