Tuesday, June 30, 2015

South America!!!....is not known for it's great beer...but....

My wife and I along with some friends traveled to South America for the first time this past May with visits to Ecudaor and the Galapagos Islands.  It was an amazing trip, but the beer was sorely lacking except for one nice surprise in the city of Quito...

Pilsener is the cerveza of choice in Ecuador and it's quality is pretty low I have to say.
I got tired of it pretty quick unlike the weak pilsners of China I encountered a year or so ago.
The other cerveza choice was Club Premium which was worse in my opinion.
The rose I bought for Ashlee from a young kid for a dollar was a much better value.
Hello, Quito!!  There is real beer in Ecuador!
We found this great little place, Abysmo Brewing, just a few blocks from our hotel.

God's Fluid indeed!  I had their Apolo stout, Zeus lager, Poseidon dunkel,
 Black IPA and Ceres hefeweizen in a sampler flight.  All were pretty good.
It could have been the real beer googles, but we sure thought
our waiter at Abysmo looked like President Obama!!

There may not have been any good beer in The Galapagos Islands,

 but they are still freaking amazing!

There is a lot more information and photos about the trip in our travel blog, but here are some shots from the trip where I was either completely alone, or doing a little imbibing...
A quiet morning on the streets of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on San Cristobal Island.
Goofing around on a cerveza-crawl in the town of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno.

The beer isn't great, but there is plenty of it.  This is Ashlee and our new drinking buddy, Joe, from Pennsylvania during our impromptu bar crawl in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno.
The beach at Puerto Villamil on Isabela Island.
Any beer at the Iguana Point Bar in Puerto Villamil??
These fellas say "no"...
A sunrise on Floreana Island
One of my favorite shots from the trip.  Just a local doing his thing.

No comments: