Monday, March 2, 2009

A Nice Big Pair of Jugs (Hanging Out in The Projects)

The title(s) for this new blog entry were so easy and so obvious that I had to go with two even though they don't seem to have anything to do with each other. Kind of an ode to those song titles where it seems the artist just can't decide which is the best title...my favorite example: Vertical Horizon's incredible song "Grey Sky Morning (Best I Ever Had)."
My wife, Ashlee, and I stopped by Yazoo Brewery in downtown Nashville last Friday night because I had read on their blog:

http://www.yazoobrew.blogspot.com/

that they had just ran some batches of what they were calling Hop Project #10 and #11. So as not to offend, (of course) I took both of my Yazoo growlers with me and got a half gallon of each after trying a pint of each on site...and I am so glad I did...because not only did I like both but Ashlee preferred # 10 and if put to the test I happen to prefer # 11 (more hoppy, of course), so it was a win-win for everyone. On the way out Ashlee referred to the growlers as "big jugs" of beer and naturally I went straight to a gutter smirk and guffaw and an innuendo blog title was born.

Now "The Weekend of the Growler" (hey, another good title) did not end there. We left the lovely big pair of Yazoo jugs in the fridge and headed to visit family in Chattanooga on Saturday. When we got there, my first mission was to hit the incredible Riverside Beverage Company and their new "beers on tap" offerings with - what else - two big jugs (i.e. growlers) that I had gotten from them before. I chose the French Broad Altbier but got there too late on a Saturday night evidently. The keg blew dry just after just a few swallows of beer where drained out (which I got as a free sample - thanks RBC!! It was great what little I had. Hope to get some more of it soon). French Broad (named after the river, not someone's old lady in Paris - man, I am on a roll!) is yet another strong brewer from Asheville, North Carolina. This smallish city has an amazing seven microbreweries (did I mention I love Asheville?). My second choice of Terrapin "Dark" Pale Ale from Athens, GA, was good to go, and I pondered my second choice from the few remaining taps. I was offered an ESB that the clerk said he was about to tap, but I told him I was more into the hops and he suggested another libation from French Broad Brewing - the Rye Hopper - Hopper? why, of course!! Both selections turned out to be terrific with my leanings toward the Rye Hopper by a slim margin. I really did think Terrapin's production of a rather darkish India pale ale (kind of an oxymoron, huh?) was superb and very creative. Those two growlers didn't last the weekend thanks to me, Ashlee and my brother-in-law, Andy, who I am slowly converting to the "dark side." Ashlee and I will be savoring our Yazoo jugs over the coming week and may just have to venture to downtown Nashville again this weekend and hang out in "The Projects."

ADDENDUM: One new bottled beer experience from the last few weeks was Copper Hook from the folks at Red Hook Brewing out of California. Red Hook is a veteran in the microbrewing arena and this copper-colored Irish-style ale is a fine addition. Very smooth with a nice flavor and finish for a bottled beer. I took a six-pack of it to The Poker Barn a few Fridays ago (thanks again Mt. Juliet Kroger for your great beer selection) but I can't say my "finish" was as smooth as my pocket kings got cracked early by a rivered straight. Good beer heals all wounds.

No comments: