Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pub Crawl, Ya'll

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patty's Day! Well, the holiday known for green beer gave me an opportunity to avoid that silly crap and rack up four more real beers for my list. I was able to grab one new beer for each of the four bars my wife, Ashlee, and our friends, Nate and Emily, and I "crawled" to in East Nashville's Five Points area. This region of the city has been depressed and rather crime-ridden in the past, but a rebirth is definitely underway with several popular bars and restaurants taking a foothold along with many restored houses and neighborhoods.



The first was a bottle of Samuari Ale at the Batter'd & Fried Boston Seafood House from Great Divide Brewing in Colorado. This beer was actually supposed to be featured at the Fiele Franklin Irish Festival we attend this past weekend (see previous post), but was not for some reason, so it was cool to find it here. The taste was rather diminishing from what seemed like a good start and turned out to be a bit of a disappointment overall. Great Divide does some great beers, but I can't rank this one among them.

Next was Dale's Pale Ale on tap at Beyond the Edge. This is a unique quality pale ale that is actually distributed in cans. I haven't had a chance to try it in a can, but on tap it was excellent. Smooth and satisfying. I definitely need to try it in a can because if it's good, it would make an excellent beer to take to Bonnaroo this summer which doesn't allow glass containers. Last year I took Boddington's English Ale which I love, but it would good to have some variety.

The third bar was 3 Crows Bar and the third beer was Yazoo Nitro draught, a super smokey stout with a great finish. Yazoo, the local Nashville brewery, was one of the sponsors of the St. Patty's Day crawl, and did themselves proud with this representative. Basically, it's Yazoo's regular Onward Stout with nitrogen added in the tap. This really helps tone down the aftertaste and add to the smoothness without losing that distinctive smokey/coffee taste

The final stop was the Red Door Saloon East whose beer selection wasn't too diverse (PBR seems to be the popular choice here for some ungodly reason). I settled for the Fat Tire on tap. Although this New Belgium amber ale brewed in Colorado has become fairly well-known recently in the Southeast, this was one I hadn't tried yet. Not bad but nothing to seek out for any real reason in the future.

Thanks East Nashville for hosting a great St. Patty's Day Pub Crawl.

1 comment:

Craig and Alison Harris said...

Amazing coincidence... while we were in Memphis, we lunched at a popular local chain called Hueys: Blues, Brews, and Burgers, where I ALMOST ordered a Fat Tire. I opted to pass since I didn't know if I would have to drive to our next "appointment" and beer goes right to my head, LOL.

BTW, Hueys was fabulous... I had the Smokey Melt and it was RICH!